What Time Does the Wheel Come to a Stop?

In summary, the grinding wheel starts with an angular velocity of 24.0 rad/s at t=0 and has a constant angular acceleration of 30.0 rad/s2 until the circuit breaker trips at t=2.00s. From then on, it turns through 432 rad as it coasts to a stop at a constant angular acceleration. Using the rotational versions of the kinematic equations of motion, we can determine that the total angle the wheel turns is 432 rad, it stops at t=12.2 sec, and its acceleration as it slows down is -8.2 rad/s2. To solve this problem, you will need to use the peak angular velocity as well.
bluejade
At t=0 at grinding wheel has an angular velocity of 24.0 rad/s. It has a constant angular acceleration of 30.0 rad/ s2 until circuit breaker trips at t=2.00s. From then on, it turns through 432 rad as ut coasts to a stop at constant angular acceleration. a) through what total angle did the wheel turn between t=0 and the time it stopped? b) when did it stop? c) what was its acceleration as it slowed down?

I tried the problem but I am doubting my answers. for a) i got a really big answer :S
b)12 sec
c)-8.2 rad/s2

Can someone help me solve these problems please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bluejade said:
At t=0 at grinding wheel has an angular velocity of 24.0 rad/s. It has a constant angular acceleration of 30.0 rad/ s2 until circuit breaker trips at t=2.00s. From then on, it turns through 432 rad as ut coasts to a stop at constant angular acceleration. a) through what total angle did the wheel turn between t=0 and the time it stopped? b) when did it stop? c) what was its acceleration as it slowed down?

I tried the problem but I am doubting my answers. for a) i got a really big answer :S
b)12.2 sec
c)-8.2 rad/s2

Can someone help me solve these problems please?

What formula did you use to solve for the peak angular velocity?

Without the peak angular velocity, how is it that you could determine the deceleration and the time?

I haven't worked it out on paper yet, but from the looks of it this problem seems to require you to use the rotational versions of the kinematic equations of motion. Earlier in your physics class you likely learned about the four equations of motion that can be used to solve kinematics problems. If you turn the distances into angles, the velocities into angular velocities, and the accelerations into angular accelerations, you'll get four equations of motion for rotational kinematics. That should help you to solve the problem.

Related to What Time Does the Wheel Come to a Stop?

What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path. This type of motion is characterized by a constant radius and a constant speed.

What is the circular motion wheel problem?

The circular motion wheel problem is a common physics problem that involves a wheel or a disc rotating about its center axis. In this problem, the wheel's angular velocity, radius, and mass are given and the goal is to find other related quantities such as its linear velocity or centripetal force.

What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving along the path. On the other hand, centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act outwards from the center of the circular path, but it is actually just an inertial force.

How do you calculate the linear velocity in a circular motion wheel problem?

The linear velocity in a circular motion wheel problem can be calculated using the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

Can the circular motion wheel problem be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the circular motion wheel problem can be applied to real-world situations such as the motion of a spinning wheel on a car, the rotation of a disk in a hard drive, or the orbit of planets around the sun. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the motion of objects in circular paths.