Angular Velocity of a wheel problem

In summary, the question asks for the angle turned by a wheel that initially rotated at 12.5 rad/s and increased to 54.0 rad/s after 15.7 seconds of applying torque. Using the SUVAT equation for angular motion, the angle turned is calculated to be 522 rad. The initial calculation of 5310.9 rad was incorrect due to using the wrong value for acceleration.
Kallum
The question:

A wheel was rotating at 12.5 rad/s when a torque was applied for 15.7 s. The angular velocity increased to 54.0 rad/s. What angle did the wheel turn through in that time?

My Solution:

theta = Wo*t+1/2*a*t^2
= (12.5 rad/s)(15.7)+(1/2)(41.5)(15.7)^2

therefore,

theta = 5310.9 rad.

Comment:

This answer doesn't seem right to me and I am stuck on what to do.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the physical dimensions of the numbers you have entered!

Welcome to PF.
It looks like you found α = 41.5. That would have been true if the specified velocity change occurred within 1 second. But it took 15.7 seconds.

Thank you for your responses, so I should do α = 41.5/15.7 to break it down to seconds and then use α = 2.66 rad/s as my value for acceleration?

That then gives me an answer of 524 rad. This seems more reasonable!

Last edited:
Likes TomHart
Kallum said:
Thank you for your responses, so I should do α = 41.5/15.7 to break it down to seconds and then use α = 2.66 rad/s as my value for acceleration?

That then gives me an answer of 524 rad. This seems more reasonable!
Near enough - I get 522.
But angular movements at constant acceleration are analogous to linear ones. All the usual SUVAT equations carry over. If you remember those, for each of the five variables (initial speed, final speed, acceleration, distance, time) there is an equation that omits one and connects the other four. In this case you have initial speed, final speed and time, and you want to find distance. So there is no need to find acceleration if you pick the right equation.

Likes CWatters

Related to Angular Velocity of a wheel problem

What is Angular Velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around an axis. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

How is Angular Velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in the angle of rotation by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

What is the difference between Angular Velocity and Linear Velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of rotation, while linear velocity measures the rate of change of position. Angular velocity is expressed in terms of angles, while linear velocity is expressed in terms of distance.

How does Angular Velocity affect the motion of a wheel?

Angular velocity affects the rotational motion of a wheel. The greater the angular velocity, the faster the wheel will rotate. In addition, the direction of the angular velocity will determine the direction of rotation of the wheel.

What factors can affect the Angular Velocity of a wheel?

The angular velocity of a wheel can be affected by the radius of the wheel, the torque applied to the wheel, and the mass distribution of the wheel. Friction and air resistance can also affect the angular velocity of a wheel.