What steps can I take to break into the alternative energy career field?

In summary, the speaker is currently studying astrophysics but has decided to pursue a career in the alternative energy field. They are seeking guidance on how to break into this field and are considering changing their major to physics and taking additional classes. They are also open to any advice or information from those with experience in the field.
Tyler Cox
Hello, I have been thinking about this for awhile and struggling with what I want to do so some guidance would be helpful.

Right now I am studying astrophysics and I've been in love with it for the better part of a year being that I find a lot of interest in solving problems in physics and math. However, recently I've started to think more about what I want to do with my life and have decided that I would rather do something more practical and focus my attention into getting into the alternative energy field.

The main reason I am writing this post is because I'm not really sure what to do to try to get into this field. Right now, I was thinking that I would be able to change my major to physics and take some additional material science or sustainability classes, but if there were some other things that I would be able to do to help my chances of breaking into the sustainable energy field some advice would be much appreciated.

I don't know too much about the field, but I know this is something I would like too look into more, so if anyone has experience with this field additional information would be helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The field of "alternative energy" is pretty broad and physics might be ok for it, but electrical engineering - and depending on the specific focus, maybe mechanical engineering - would probably be better targeted.

Related to What steps can I take to break into the alternative energy career field?

1. What types of alternative energy careers are available?

There are a variety of alternative energy careers available, including positions in solar, wind, hydropower, geothermal, and bioenergy industries. Other potential career paths include energy efficiency consulting, sustainable architecture, and renewable energy research and development.

2. What education and skills are needed for a career in alternative energy?

The education and skills needed for a career in alternative energy will vary depending on the specific area of focus. Generally, a strong background in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) is important, as well as knowledge of renewable energy systems and sustainability principles. Many positions may also require a bachelor's or master's degree in a related field.

3. What are the job prospects for alternative energy careers?

The job prospects for alternative energy careers are generally positive, as the demand for renewable energy sources continues to grow. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of solar photovoltaic installers is projected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations, and wind turbine technician jobs are also expected to see significant growth.

4. How much can I expect to earn in an alternative energy career?

The salary for an alternative energy career can vary depending on factors such as job title, location, and experience. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for solar photovoltaic installers was $44,890 in May 2020, and the median annual wage for wind turbine technicians was $56,230.

5. What are the benefits of working in the alternative energy industry?

There are many potential benefits of working in the alternative energy industry. These include the opportunity to have a positive impact on the environment, job stability and growth potential, and the chance to be at the forefront of a rapidly evolving and innovative field. Additionally, many alternative energy careers offer competitive salaries and benefits packages.