What Should My Title Be for Amazon Mechanical Turk?

• Thread starter TheMacNerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanical
In summary, a new Amazon Mechanical Turk user is wondering what to call themselves and is met with some forum etiquette that prevents me from offering suggestions. The user eventually settles on "TheMacNerd".
TheMacNerd
Hi,

I have a question. I just signed up for Amazon Mechanical Turk for passive income. My only problem is what would my title be?

Physics news on Phys.org
What in the world are you talking about?

Likes Wrichik Basu, BillTre, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
TheMacNerd said:
Hi,

I have a question. I just signed up for Amazon Mechanical Turk for passive income. My only problem is what would my title be?
Are you serious? How on EARTH should we know what you want to call yourself? Forum etiquette prevents my saying more.

Likes Wrichik Basu, BillTre and davenn
phinds said:
How on EARTH should we know what you want to call yourself?
He could call himself "Big White Fluffy Dog". :smile:

Likes davenn
berkeman said:
He could call himself "Big White Fluffy Dog". :smile:
Nah, I got that covered. As I said, forum etiquette prevents my making the suggestions that come to mind.

phinds said:
Nah, I got that covered. As I said, forum etiquette prevents my making the suggestions that come to mind.
LOL o0)

How about "TheMacNerd"? Perhaps that's too embarassing :-)

Likes berkeman
TheMacNerd said:
I just signed up for Amazon Mechanical Turk for passive income. My only problem is what would my title be?
How about “Confused About The Meaning Of Passive, Vice President”

Likes russ_watters and phinds
Thread closed pending moderation.

I know the thread is locked, but:
StatGuy2000 said:
Quoting:
A study of 3.8 million tasks completed by 2,767 workers on Amazon's Mechanical Turk showed that “workers earned a median hourly wage of about $2 an hour” with 4 percent of workers earning more than $7.25 per hour.
Not a good deal for the worker.

One final remark:

https://www.workfromhomewatchdog.com/is-amazon-mechanical-turk-a-scam/

to add more info to Russ's post.

I've had a friend who did something similar working for a Google contractor in identifying search trends. There were rules to follow and sometimes arguments ensued as you battled with other contractors to justify why you thought the search terms meant A versus someone not in the know saying it means B. (many housewives would get into the work and weren't always aware of youth trends)

Also it seemed that the contractor companies work to distance you from the primary company in order to avoid certain labor laws and the benefits that full regular employees get from the named company.

With respect to title, I would say simply information analyst as you are analyzing information and making money from your analysis. This would work well on your resume and not draw too much attention to the job while at the same filling in time gaps that do cause questions to be asked.

Final closing of this thread.

Likes Dale

Related to What Should My Title Be for Amazon Mechanical Turk?

What is Amazon Mechanical Turk?

Amazon Mechanical Turk is an online platform that allows individuals or businesses to outsource small, repetitive tasks and jobs to a large pool of workers, known as "Turkers". It is a part of Amazon Web Services and has been in operation since 2005.

How does Amazon Mechanical Turk work?

Employers post Human Intelligence Tasks (HITs) on the platform, which are then completed by Turkers. Once completed, the employer reviews the work and approves payment to the Turker. The platform uses a crowdsourcing model, allowing for quick and efficient completion of tasks.

What types of tasks can be completed on Amazon Mechanical Turk?

There is a wide range of tasks that can be completed on Amazon Mechanical Turk, including data entry, transcription, surveys, content moderation, and more. The tasks can vary in complexity and duration, and employers can also create their own custom tasks.

How much does it cost to use Amazon Mechanical Turk?

There are no upfront costs to use Amazon Mechanical Turk. Employers only pay for completed tasks, and the cost varies depending on the complexity of the task and the number of Turkers needed to complete it. The platform also takes a small percentage of the payment as a service fee.

Is Amazon Mechanical Turk a reliable source of income?

While some Turkers may use Amazon Mechanical Turk as a primary source of income, it is not a guaranteed or stable source of income. The availability of tasks can fluctuate, and the pay for each task may not be consistent. It is important to carefully consider the time and effort needed for each task before accepting it.