What should I consider when choosing a university?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Grands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary: EnglishIn summary, a new user from Italy is seeking advice on choosing a university. They have doubts about sharing personal information on the forum and are wondering if it could potentially be traced back to them. The user is interested in discussing their interests and financial situation, but not personal details. They also ask for recommendations on Italian universities, particularly for mathematics and physics, and mention Pisa as a potential option.
doglover9754 said:
No... it’s more like we fill out “fake” applications and submit it to our school. I know that you are probably thinking yeah, why am I stressing about it, but really, we get graded on our application and our teachers even tell us that yes, it seems pointless now, but it may come in handy in the future... (still confused about that)
As a middle school student, you're not really "applying" to those colleges. It sounds to me like this is an exercise in how to (eventually) fill out a real application, many years down the road.

Likes Grands and fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
doglover9754 said:
No... it’s more like we fill out “fake” applications and submit it to our school. I know that you are probably thinking yeah, why am I stressing about it, but really, we get graded on our application and our teachers even tell us that yes, it seems pointless now, but it may come in handy in the future... (still confused about that)
I can only interpret that to mean that filling in college applications is not an easy thing ( meaning filling them so that you will be accepted) , so , by doing it now, you are getting a head start.

Likes doglover9754 and fresh_42
doglover9754 said:
Mmm. I’m pretty sure that it has an effect on something... I think it effects our ELA class... not totally sure though
What's ELA?

Ultimately, for undergrad, I think it comes down to finding a place where you can create a network of people to find you better opportunities. Sounds cold and not very idealistic, but a first good job can make a big difference over the long run.

Likes doglover9754
CrysPhys said:
What's ELA?
English Langauge Arts

WWGD said:
I can only interpret that to mean that filling in college applications is not an easy thing ( meaning filling them so that you will be accepted) , so , by doing it now, you are getting a head start.
Hm. Never thought of it as a head start. I guess you are right

doglover9754 said:
Hm. Never thought of it as a head start. I guess you are right
OK, now that it's clear that you don't need to choose a university, and that what you are doing is a practice exercise in filling out a college application, it actually makes good sense to me, and I think it's a great idea. Because now you will know what you need to do during the high-school years ahead in order to have a strong application in the first part of your senior year. If you wait until the start of the senior year, there won't be time to remedy many deficiencies: E.g.: (a) You'll need letters of recommendation. Oops! I don't know anyone well enough to write them for me. (b) You'll need to describe special activities outside of school. Oops! I haven't done anything. (c) You'll need to describe activities that demonstrate your passion for science. Oops! I never did any science fair projects. So now, you will know ahead of time what you need to do; and that's good.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD and doglover9754