What should I be doing in the summer in between HS years?

In summary, Justin is a sophomore in high school who plans to pursue nuclear or astrophysics. He is currently taking honors chemistry and trig/pre-calc and will be taking AP Calc and physics next year. He is considering taking extra classes over the summer and is also looking into summer camps and programs related to astronomy and nuclear physics. He is also working on a Farnsworth fusor. He is seeking advice on what else he can do to prepare for these fields, including learning calculus and linear algebra and possibly participating in internships or learning programming.
jmandell
I'm a sophomore in HS and am planing to go into nuclear or astrophysics. I am wondering what I should be doing in preparation for going into these fields?

I am in honors chemistry and honors trig/pre-calc (with 98% in both classes) this year and will be taking AP Calc and physics next year. Should I be taking any extra classes over the summer that could help prepare me for junior year?

I am also looking at some summer camps such as Astronomy Camp at Kitt Peak observatory and the Physics of Atomic Nuclei program at Michigan State univeristy. Are these good programs, any other programs I should consider ? I am also starting to work on a farnsworth fusor.

Any other things I should do?

Thanks,
Justin

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your college funding all set?

If not I would suggest finding a steady paying job so that you can save for your education. If you have a wealthy benefactor, that's great, but I had to work all summer every summer to afford college.

My parents have said that they will pay undergrad and grad was up to me. I am planing to get a part time job also.

Why take classes? When I was in high school (or the equivalent in my country) I found a used copy of University Physics by Young and Freedman at my school library. I borrowed it over the summer and studied it. Of course it depends on your learning style.

In your situation, I would recommend spending your summer intensively studying calculus (maybe even multivariable) to be ready for the physics. Learning the necessary math before you learn the physics should drastically improve your rate of learning and progress.

espen180 said:
Why take classes? When I was in high school (or the equivalent in my country) I found a used copy of University Physics by Young and Freedman at my school library. I borrowed it over the summer and studied it. Of course it depends on your learning style.

In your situation, I would recommend spending your summer intensively studying calculus (maybe even multivariable) to be ready for the physics. Learning the necessary math before you learn the physics should drastically improve your rate of learning and progress.

I should have been more clear in the original post. It was my intention to pick up some used textbooks and use those, not attend actual classes.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't forget to relax too so you don't burnout.

I'd recommend you enjoy your last free summer if you can!

Stengah said:
Consider this if they offer it next summer. http://www.physics.isu.edu/internships/internship.html

Thanks for that suggestion, I will definitely look into that. I also found the quarknet internship at Fermilab. Any idea if that is a good one to look into?

Thanks

I have also read that I should learn to program. Is there a specific language I should learn? I know very basic Python and we are learning Ruby and Ruby on Rails in IT class.

It is better to focus on programming techniques than on language syntax. It is easy to learn the necessary language syntax as it is needed. :)

The programming you will be doing is mainly numerical computing. You basically need to know calculus before you can learn it properly. It mainly concerns numerical solutions of (ordinary or partial) differential equations, simulations of dynamical systems and related techniques. You will probably also learn some numerical analysis to carry out error analysis.
If you want to be prepared, I think your best choice is to focus on learning calculus and linear algebra.

Related to What should I be doing in the summer in between HS years?

1. What are some good summer internships or programs for high school students interested in science?

There are many great options for summer internships or programs in science for high school students. Some popular choices include research internships at universities or government agencies, science camps or workshops, and volunteering at local science centers or museums. It is also a good idea to reach out to your local community college or university to see if they offer any summer programs for high school students.

2. How can I make the most of my summer to prepare for a future career in science?

One of the best ways to prepare for a future career in science is to gain hands-on experience through internships, volunteer work, or research opportunities. You can also use the summer to explore different areas of science, attend science conferences or workshops, and read books or articles related to your field of interest. Additionally, practicing good time management and organization skills can help you stay on track and make the most of your summer.

3. Are there any online courses or resources available for high school students interested in science?

Yes, there are many online courses and resources available for high school students interested in science. Some options include online courses offered by universities, online science courses specifically for high school students, and free resources such as science blogs, podcasts, and YouTube channels. It may also be helpful to reach out to science organizations or professionals in your field of interest for recommendations.

4. How important is it to have a summer job or internship in a science-related field?

Having a summer job or internship in a science-related field can be beneficial for your future career, but it is not necessarily a requirement. These experiences can provide valuable skills and knowledge, as well as help you make connections in the field. However, if you are unable to secure a science-related job or internship, there are still many other ways to stay engaged and continue learning about science during the summer.

5. Can I take a break from science during the summer and still be successful in my studies?

Taking a break from science during the summer can be beneficial for your mental and physical well-being. It is important to recharge and relax in between academic years. However, it is also important to stay engaged and keep your mind active. This could include reading books or articles related to science, attending science events or workshops, or participating in science-related activities. Finding a balance between rest and staying engaged will ultimately help you be successful in your studies.