What Resistance Does an Ohmmeter Read in an Infinite 2x2 Resistor Array?

In summary, the conversation discusses an infinite 2x2 array of resistors, with each resistor having a value of 1k. The resistance across one resistor when an ohmeter is placed is 1/2 ohm, and the resistance across opposite vertices of the array is extremely complex and not easily solved. The use of the superposition principle is mentioned as a possible method for solving the problem, but a simple proof has not yet been found. The conversation also mentions how the superposition principle was used in a computer simulation in digital electronics.
DrKareem
... |
... R
... |
-R- --R
... |
... R

Suppose you have an infite array (2by2) of resistors, each of value let's 1k.

If you place the an ohmeter accres one resistor, what resistance will the ohmeter read?

Physics news on Phys.org
::
Its a pretty old one and this one probably is the simplest of them all.
Simply applying superposition principle gives 1/2 ohm.
::

A much harder one,
What is the resistance across opposite vertices of the 2x2 array?

People have ofcourse extended this to many different dimensions and its all spread across the net at different places.

-- AI

Last edited:
This wouldn't have anything to do with google would it?

Google in its interviews hasnt asked for anything like this, if u meant it that way.

And if u are asking abt the answer being spread on the net , then yes google will be helpful to find the answer to this question ...

The version i gave is really hard , i don't know of elementary techniques to solve it , and the one found on the net was too complex ... i just posted it in the hope that maybe someone has some bright ideas for a simple proof for my version of the question ... :biggrin:

-- AI

hehe, just the same reason of me posting this. I got it off a magazine, and i didn't even get the solution :P

I'd give a hint though, he injected a current at one node, and then he tried to collect another current accress another node (no the same current) and then see the voltage across that resistor, and of course he already knows the current passin through it so he knows the R :)

Tenali, can you explain how you got your answer?

Dr Kareem,
Whatever u found in that article was the thing i did tho in a more sophisticated manner its called the superposition principle. I put across voltages across the terminals , calculate closed circuit voltages and then find the effective resistance.

Do u know the superposition principle?

-- AI

We did this on a computer simulation in digital electronics. (Of course we used a fixed amt. of resistors) We kept adding a box of resistors around it anoter and another and another. Can't remember t he answer though.

Related to What Resistance Does an Ohmmeter Read in an Infinite 2x2 Resistor Array?

1. What is an infinite array of resistors?

An infinite array of resistors is a theoretical concept in physics and engineering where an infinite number of resistors are arranged in a grid-like pattern. Each resistor is connected to its neighboring resistors, creating a continuous network.

2. How is an infinite array of resistors different from a regular resistor?

An infinite array of resistors is different from a regular resistor in that it has an infinite number of resistors connected in a specific pattern, while a regular resistor only has one or a few resistors connected in series or parallel.

3. What is the purpose of an infinite array of resistors?

The purpose of an infinite array of resistors is to model and study the behavior of electrical circuits and networks. It can also be used to demonstrate concepts such as resistance, current, and voltage in a theoretical setting.

4. Can an infinite array of resistors exist in the real world?

No, an infinite array of resistors cannot exist in the real world as it is a theoretical concept. However, it can be approximated and studied using a large number of resistors arranged in a similar pattern.

5. How does the resistance of an infinite array of resistors change with the addition of more resistors?

The resistance of an infinite array of resistors does not change with the addition of more resistors. This is because the resistance of an infinite array is dependent on the arrangement and pattern of the resistors, not the number of resistors itself.