Determining the optimal resistance of a variable resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of standard and variable resistors in a circuit, with the goal of maximizing the power dissipated by the variable resistor. The equation ##I = \frac{V}{(R_v + R)}## is used to calculate the current, and ##P = I^2 R_v## represents the power dissipated by the variable resistor. However, due to the dependence of ##I## and ##R_v## on each other, it is difficult to determine the independent variable in order to maximize ##P##. The solution may involve using the equation for ##I## to express ##P## in terms of a single variable.
xAly
Homework Statement
A simple circuit consists of a supply with a voltage of ##60V## as well as a variable resistor (which can be varied between ##1## and ##25 \Omega##) and resistor (##5\Omega##) connected in series. Determine the resistance of the variable resistor such that the power dissipated by it is maximised.
Relevant Equations
##P = I^2 R, R = \frac{V}{I}##
Let ##R## denote resistance of standard resistor and ##R_v## the resistance of the variable resistor. I know that ##I = \frac{V}{(R_v + R)}##. Now I also know that ##P = I^2 R_v##represents the power dissipated by the variable resistor and that I need to maximise ##P##. The problem I am having is that both and ##I## and ##R_v## are dependent on each other, a decrease in ##R_v## leads to an increase in ##I## and vice versa. Therefore I don't see how to maximise ##P##, usually I would differentiate to find the critical points but I am not sure which one is the independent variable here.

Physics news on Phys.org
xAly said:
##I = \frac{V}{(R_v + R)}\,\,\,\,\,## ##P = I^2 R_v##
Try to use your equation for ##I## to express ##P## in terms of a single variable.

Related to Determining the optimal resistance of a variable resistor

1. What is a variable resistor?

A variable resistor is a type of electrical component that allows you to change the amount of resistance in a circuit. This means you can control the flow of electric current through the circuit.

2. Why is it important to determine the optimal resistance of a variable resistor?

Determining the optimal resistance of a variable resistor is important because it allows you to achieve the desired amount of current flow in a circuit. This is necessary for controlling the functioning of electronic devices and preventing damage to the circuit or the device itself.

3. How do you determine the optimal resistance of a variable resistor?

The optimal resistance of a variable resistor can be determined through a process called trial and error. Start with a high resistance and gradually decrease it until the desired current flow is achieved. Alternatively, you can use mathematical calculations based on the circuit components and the desired current flow.

4. What factors should be considered when determining the optimal resistance of a variable resistor?

Some factors to consider when determining the optimal resistance of a variable resistor include the type and voltage of the power source, the desired current flow, and the maximum resistance of the variable resistor. It is also important to consider the resistance range of the variable resistor and its tolerance level.

5. Can the optimal resistance of a variable resistor change over time?

Yes, the optimal resistance of a variable resistor can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, changes in temperature, and aging of the circuit components. It is important to regularly check and adjust the resistance of a variable resistor to ensure optimal performance of the circuit.