What Price Should a Goat Salesman Charge to Maximize Profit?

• Thread starter slab_ryda
  • Start date
In summary: Then what is the price per goat as a function of x? Let's call that P. In summary, the problem involves a goat salesman trying to maximize his profit by determining the optimal price for his goats. To solve this, we need to express the number of goats sold per day (GPD) and the price per goat (P) as functions of the number of price reductions (x). Using the given information, we can determine that GPD= 12 + 2x and P= 15000 - 300x. From here, we can set up an equation for profit and use calculus to determine the optimal value for x, which is 7.02. This means the salesman should reduce the price by $210
slab_ryda
Maximizing profit equation URGENT

1. Homework Statement :
A goat salesman can sell 12 goats per day at a price of 15000 each. His marketing dept estimates that for each $300 price reduction he can sell 2 more goats per day. If each goat costs him $12000, and fixed costs are $1000, use calculus to determine what price he should charge to maximize his profit? How many goats will he sell at this price? (hint! Let x be the number of $300 price reductions.)

2. Homework Equations :

?

3. The Attempt at a Solution :

I started off with p-15000= [(15000-300)/(12-14)] (x-12)

which, after deriving and equating p' to 0 ; i got x= 7.02

My issue:

I honestly don't think i got the first equation right. I've tried thinkin outside the box on this one, but i have a feeling that its much easier than I am making it out to be in my own head. This problem is for a group assignment and I can't let my group down. I asked my math tutor, but she's totally useless for application problems involving business.

Thank you to anyone for any help/ attempting to help :) :)

ps. i would usually find a more competent tutor or ask my school's tutor, but its crunch time on the day before the group thing is due, so I am kinda stuck between a rock and this math problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

Break the problem down into parts and express each as a function of x. i) how many goats do you sell per day and ii) what's the price of each goat. Try to combine those into an expression with the other facts to get an expression for profit.

express each as a function of the number of price reductions? Is that what you are saying? or just x as a variable

slab_ryda said:
express each as a function of the number of price reductions? Is that what you are saying? or just x as a variable

Yes, x as the number of price reductions. Follow the hint. "just x as a variable" doesn't mean much. So answer my questions i) and ii).

This is probably a very easy easy question, but I am kinda stumped on how to figure it out. even your Q's i) and ii), Dick, please excuse my stupidity, i just want to solve it so my group doesn't take a fall.

slab_ryda said:
This is probably a very easy easy question, but I am kinda stumped on how to figure it out. even your Q's i) and ii), Dick, please excuse my stupidity, i just want to solve it so my group doesn't take a fall.

You can't figure out an expression for number of goats sold per day if x is the number of price reductions?? The only way not to let your group down is to figure this out. Let's call that expression GPD. If x=0, the GPD=12. If x=1, then GPD=14. If x=2, then GPD=16. This is easy.

Related to What Price Should a Goat Salesman Charge to Maximize Profit?

What is the "Maximizing profit equation"?

The "Maximizing profit equation" is a mathematical formula used to determine the ideal level of production for a business or company in order to maximize profits. It takes into account factors such as production costs, market demand, and pricing strategies.

How is the "Maximizing profit equation" calculated?

The "Maximizing profit equation" is typically calculated by subtracting total production costs from total revenue, and then finding the point at which this difference is at its highest. This point represents the level of production that will result in the maximum profit for the business.

What are some limitations of the "Maximizing profit equation"?

One limitation of the "Maximizing profit equation" is that it assumes a linear relationship between production and profit, which may not always hold true in real-world situations. It also does not take into account external factors such as competition, economic conditions, and consumer behavior.

How can the "Maximizing profit equation" be used in decision making?

The "Maximizing profit equation" can be used as a tool to help businesses make decisions about their production levels and pricing strategies. By calculating the maximum profit point, businesses can determine the most profitable course of action and adjust their strategies accordingly.

What are some other factors to consider when trying to maximize profit?

In addition to the "Maximizing profit equation", businesses should also consider factors such as market demand, competition, pricing strategies, and production costs. It is important to find a balance between maximizing profits and maintaining customer satisfaction and loyalty.