Maximize Daily Profits with Cost and Price Functions | Homework Help

In summary, a company has a daily cost function and a price function for their product. To find the maximum daily profit, we need to calculate the profit equation by subtracting the cost from the price and then find the derivative. After plugging the first derivative into the equation, we get two possible answers for the quantity of units to produce. By graphing the profit equation, we can see that one of the answers results in a negative profit, so the other answer of 350 units is the maximum daily profit. Plugging this quantity back into the profit equation gives us a price of $7.80 per deck and a maximum daily profit of $2,730.
zeezey

Homework Statement

daily Cost function C(x) = 5x + 360 -0.001x^2, where x is the number of decks company produces each day and daily cost is in dollars. Suppose that the price that each deck is sold for varies based on the equation given by p(x) = 11.30 - 0.01x, where p is the price per deck in dollars. Find maximum daily profits, price that the company should charge per deck and the maximum daily profit.

The Attempt at a Solution

profit = C(x) * x - P(x)
=x(5x + 360 -0.001x^2) - (11.30 - .01x)
=5x^2 - 360x - 0.001x^3 - 11.30 +0.01x

Can anyone tell me if I set this up correctly? I know I should take the derivative of this but I end up with 2 different answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the 360x term should be +.

Also, one of the two answers will either not make any sense (e.g. negative) or results in a min instead of max. Remember, a zero derivative means min, max, or inflection point. An easy way to check is to plot profit as a function of x and see what the curve looks like.

Ok, so the two answers I got were 36.96 and 3296.94 ? It seems like 36.96 would works in the equations I need to plug into since I get $10.96 max price and $365.5 max profit but 36.96 total units seems off?

zeezey said:
profit = C(x) * x - P(x)

This is not right. Ask yourself if this equation makes sense. If I sell apples at 5 dollars a piece and it costs me 3 dollars for each apple, and assuming that we sell 2 apples, plugging into your equation, what do we get? Once you think about this, ignore the equations and ask yourself what is profit? How do we get the amount of money that we make?

Well I was using the equation Profit = Price * Quantity - Cost . I was just trying to fit this equation into what I was given. I'm not sure how to then if that equation I came up with was incorrect.

zeezey said:
Profit = Price * Quantity - Cost

This is correct. Unless I'm misreading your other post, what you have written earlier is Cost*Quantity - Price:

zeezey said:
profit = C(x) * x - P(x)

well C(x) is cost yes but in this particular problem it seems to actually be the price equation and P(x) seems to be the cost. in the problem it states that "the price that each deck is sold for varies based on the equation given by P(x) = 11.30 - 0.01x"

zeezey said:
well C(x) is cost yes but in this particular problem it seems to actually be the price equation and P(x) seems to be the cost.

I'm not really sure what you mean here. "the price that each deck is sold for varies based on the equation" just means that price is given by P(x) = 11.30 - 0.01x. Similarly for cost. What you want to have is P(x)*x - C(x).

I tried it that way and the total profit per day turned out to be negative?
11.30x - 0.01x^2 - 5x - 360 +0.001x^2
=-0.009x^2 - 6.30x - 360
f'(x) = 0.018x - 6.30 = 0
x = 6.30/.018 = 350 units
-.009(350)^2 - 6.30(350) - 360 = -3667.5.
P(x) = 11.30 - 0.01x = 11.30 - 0.01(350) = $7.80

zeezey said:
I tried it that way and the total profit per day turned out to be negative?
11.30x - 0.01x^2 - 5x - 360 +0.001x^2
=-0.009x^2 - 6.30x - 360
f'(x) = 0.018x - 6.30 = 0
x = 6.30/.018 = 350 units
-.009(350)^2 - 6.30(350) - 360 = -3667.5.
P(x) = 11.30 - 0.01x = 11.30 - 0.01(350) = $7.80

Your first line is fine:

Profit = 11.30x - 0.01x2 - 5x - 360 +0.001x2

= -.009x2 + 6.30x - 360

not -0.009x2 - 6.30x - 360

Just be careful with your signs. You'll still get 350 for your quantity, but you should now get a reasonable amount when you plug back into the profit equation.

Oh dang, how did I miss that. Thanks for the help! :)

Related to Maximize Daily Profits with Cost and Price Functions | Homework Help

1. What is profit maximization and why is it important?

Profit maximization is the process of increasing a company's earnings to the highest possible level. It is important because it allows a company to be financially stable, attract investors, and have the resources to invest in growth and development.

2. How do you calculate profit maximization?

Profit maximization is calculated by finding the point where marginal revenue equals marginal cost. This is when the company is producing and selling the optimal amount of goods or services to generate the highest profit.

3. What are the factors that affect profit maximization?

The factors that affect profit maximization include pricing strategies, production costs, market demand, competition, and economic conditions. These factors can change over time and affect a company's ability to maximize profits.

4. How do companies balance profit maximization with other objectives?

Companies must balance profit maximization with other objectives such as customer satisfaction, social responsibility, and long-term sustainability. This requires careful consideration of the company's values and goals, as well as the needs and expectations of stakeholders.

5. Can profit maximization lead to unethical practices?

In some cases, profit maximization can lead to unethical practices such as cutting corners on product quality or exploiting workers. It is important for companies to have ethical guidelines and values in place to ensure that profit maximization is achieved in an ethical and sustainable manner.