What my desktop currently looks like

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Desktop
In summary, my desktop currently looks like:Gentoo Linux runs on my desktop, which is FVWM-based. My wallpaper is Mine. I have no icons, and my resolution is 1280x1024. I have 4 desktops.
JamesU
Gold Member
this is what my desktop currently looks like:

mydesktop.jpg

as you can see, I am perfectly organized and can find anything I need in a matter of seconds :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Ughh, makes me want to throw up :smile:

Here is mine:

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/7319/mydesktop3vp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine, as you can see, is neatly divided into 7 sections and then ordered by importance.

Attachments

• Desktop.jpg
    Desktop.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
I wish I was working on my computer right now. All the icons are arranged in a butifull commpletlly ilgocal but streangley usful spirale.

how can you find your way around that desktop?

Moonbear, you're confused. You seem to have lost the ability to distinguish between "neat and tidy" and just plain "boring".

Smurf said:
Moonbear, you're confused. You seem to have lost the ability to distinguish between "neat and tidy" and just plain "boring".
I don't like clutter, and I find all those wallpaper scenery things make it hard to view what's on the screen. Trees and landscapes make it look like a kid's computer to me.

Here is my desktop:

http://umsis.miami.edu/~dduardo/my_desktop.png

Desktop: FVWM
Wallpaper: Mine
Icons: None
Resolution: 1280x1024
# of Desktops: 4

My desktop is about simplicity and efficiency. All my files are tucked away in my home directory where they should be. I have access to all my programs with a simple left mouse click anywhere while I have access to all my active programs with a simple right mouse click anywhere.

Having multiple desktops is nice. If I have the TV in full screen mode on desktop 1 I can have Firefox in full screen mode on desktop 2. Just moving the mouse over to the edge switches desktops.

desktop.jpg

dduardo said:
Here is my desktop:

http://umsis.miami.edu/~dduardo/my_desktop.png

Desktop: FVWM
Wallpaper: Mine
Icons: None
Resolution: 1280x1024
# of Desktops: 4

My desktop is about simplicity and efficiency. All my files are tucked away in my home directory where they should be. I have access to all my programs with a simple left mouse click anywhere while I have access to all my active programs with a simple right mouse click anywhere.

Having multiple desktops is nice. If I have the TV in full screen mode on desktop 1 I can have Firefox in full screen mode on desktop 2. Just moving the mouse over to the edge switches desktops.

Well, if Smurf thought I was boring, I can't wait until he sees your desktop! :biggrin: Hmmm...you're making me want Linux! Usually, the only thing on my desktop is my hard drive icon (which I can't make hide) and one or two files that I'm actively working on. I have more than that right now because I'm actively juggling a few projects, and just like having the documents on the desktop to remember what I'm working on. All the other related files are tucked away in folders where they belong too. It used to drive me crazy when I had to share computers with people and they'd leave stuff all over the desktop.

GNU/Linux is customizable all the way down to the kernel. Notice how I placed the close, expand, minimize buttons on the left rather then the right. You could easily remove them completely and use mouse gestures instead of buttons. You could make the titlebar larger or smaller or have none at all. Every key is programmable and can execute whatever type of script you want. You can enable/disable desktop icons. You can choose to have expose program switching. You can choose to have a OSX dock. The options are endless.

You can't get this type of customization anywhere else. As the old saying goes: Buying proprietary software is like buying a car with the hood welded shut.

-pfft-

My desktop pwns all.

http://www.1337moose.com/pfimg/desktop.jpg

I mainly use the quick launch bar thingy. When I click the arrows, I can get to my ftp, ConText, AIM, etc.

EDIT: When I work on a large school project, I may have up to 10 separate icons of txt documents, imgs, and so on. Usually if it exceeds 10, I make separate folders "images" and so on.

Lol at having your class schedule on your desktop.

loseyourname said:

LoL at having an actual period called lunch

loseyourname said:

:smile:

Forgot that was still there. I had that before school started because whenever I wanted to remember what classes I was taking in which order, I would forget. So I had a solution... Time to take it off

Pengwuino said:
LoL at having an actual period called lunch

It's like a study hall to me, so why not
:-p :biggrin:

I did in fact just copy it from my schedule though :rolleyes:

My computer desktop is as cluttered as my real desktop. But I can find anything instantaneously because I remember where everything is. Clutter doesn't matter to people with photographic memories. :approve:

One of my favorite sayings is "a clean desk is a sign of a cluttered mind". :biggrin:

Evo said:
My computer desktop is as cluttered as my real desktop. But I can find anything instantaneously because I remember where everything is. Clutter doesn't matter to people with photographic memories. :approve:

One of my favorite sayings is "a clean desk is a sign of a cluttered mind". :biggrin:
My desktop and my desk are two completely different animals. Well, maybe not. I tend to keep my desk uncluttered, it's the whole rest of the office that is cluttered. :biggrin: Once I reached the stage of having my own office instead of having to share one, I could return to old habits of stacking stuff in piles on the floor. I only lose things when I clean.

half the programs On there I don't use/don't know they exist, or don't know what they are. It used to be organized. I like this better.

I can actually find stuff better. :confused:

Moonbear said:
I only lose things when I clean.
YES! It's the times when I succumb to pressure to "organize" that I can't find anything.

Moonbear said:
Well, if Smurf thought I was boring, I can't wait until he sees your desktop! :biggrin:
No. Your's is boring, his is linux. There's a difference. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Smurf said:
No. Your's is boring, his is linux. There's a difference. :biggrin:
Pbbbbbbbbpppppbbbttttttttt! :-p

supercalifragilisticexbealidocious yes I know I can't spell it

Smurf said:
supercalifragilisticexbealidocious

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Use spellcheck fool :P

Moonbear said:
My desktop and my desk are two completely different animals. Well, maybe not. I tend to keep my desk uncluttered, it's the whole rest of the office that is cluttered. :biggrin: Once I reached the stage of having my own office instead of having to share one, I could return to old habits of stacking stuff in piles on the floor. I only lose things when I clean.

My desk is very cluttered. I have a stacks upon stacks of scratch paper that just keeps on pilling up. I tend to refer weeks later back to previous notes, so I don't like to throw the paper away. It would be nice if I had electronic paper that could upload its content to my computer when not being used. When I needed a particular note I could simply do a search on the computer. If I want to edit the page, I could re-upload it to the e-paper and continue writing.

One of my favorite sayings is "a clean desk is a sign of a cluttered mind".

There's a much better quote:

"If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, then what is an clean desk a sign of?"

my new, improved, squashed, desktop:
adesktop.jpg

yomamma said:
[IM]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a71/i-cant-find-a-username/adesktop.jpg[/QUOTE]

GAH! Classic theme

I remember in 8th grade, when I just had one binder and I placed things from all my classes right on top in it. Bassically, everything was in chronological order naturally. Although it wasnt divided into classes, I could usually find something easily.

yomamma said:
adesktop.jpg
It gives me a headache! :devil: :devil: :devil:

I can squish it more. I'll do that later

yomamma said:
I can squish it more. I'll do that later

I just realized you are in my time zone
:bugeye:

hey, you're in phoenix, I'm in scottsdale.

yomamma said:
hey, you're in phoenix, I'm in scottsdale.

:smile:
Wow, all this time and I thought you lived in Montana or something :smile:

Crazy

Related to What my desktop currently looks like

1. What is the purpose of taking a screenshot of your desktop?

Taking a screenshot of your desktop allows you to capture and save an image of your current desktop setup. This can be useful for documentation, troubleshooting, or sharing your desktop with others.

2. How do I take a screenshot of my desktop?

The method for taking a screenshot of your desktop varies depending on your operating system. On Windows, you can press the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard, or use the Snipping Tool. On Mac, you can use the "Command + Shift + 3" shortcut, or use the Grab application.

3. Can I customize the appearance of my desktop?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your desktop by changing the wallpaper, icons, and other visual elements. This can be done through the settings or preferences menu on your computer.

4. How can I organize my desktop icons?

You can organize your desktop icons by dragging and dropping them into different positions. You can also create folders to group similar icons together, and use the "Arrange Icons By" or "Sort By" options to automatically organize your icons.

5. Can I have multiple desktops on my computer?

Yes, some operating systems such as Windows and Mac allow you to have multiple desktops. This can be useful for organizing your work or separating different tasks. You can switch between desktops using keyboard shortcuts or through the system settings.