What Must Superman's Initial Velocity Be to Save the Falling Student?

In summary: For Superman, you have to use the same formula, but you have to start at the point where the student is when Superman jumps. The only difference between Superman and the student is that Superman's initial velocity is very different from the student's.In summary, a student is testing the law of gravity by jumping off a skyscraper and timing his free fall. Superman arrives and needs to catch the student just before he hits the ground. Using the formula v2^2 = v1^2+2aΔd, the student's speed is calculated to be 79m/s just before impact. To catch the student, Superman must also use this formula, but with a different initial velocity.
ash312

Homework Statement

A student is determined to test the law of gravity for himself. He steps off a skyscraper 320m high, stopwatch in hand, and starts his free fall. Five seconds later, superman arrives at the scene and dives off the roof to save the student. What must superman's initial velocity be in order to catch the student just before the student reaches the ground? Assume superman obeys the laws of physics like any other free falling objects

Homework Equations

v2^2 = v1^2+2aΔd

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula above to calculate that the student will be traveling at 79m/s just before he hits the ground. But i think i have the wrong approach

Physics news on Phys.org
ash312 said:

Homework Statement

A student is determined to test the law of gravity for himself. He steps off a skyscraper 320m high, stopwatch in hand, and starts his free fall. Five seconds later, superman arrives at the scene and dives off the roof to save the student. What must superman's initial velocity be in order to catch the student just before the student reaches the ground? Assume superman obeys the laws of physics like any other free falling objects

Homework Equations

v2^2 = v1^2+2aΔd

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula above to calculate that the student will be traveling at 79m/s just before he hits the ground. But i think i have the wrong approach

That is the correct speed for the student - or very close; depends what value for g you used.

Related to What Must Superman's Initial Velocity Be to Save the Falling Student?

1. What is Superman's initial velocity?

Superman's initial velocity can vary depending on the situation. However, in most depictions, Superman's initial velocity is estimated to be around Mach 10 or 10 times the speed of sound, which is approximately 7,680 miles per hour.

2. How does Superman achieve his initial velocity?

Superman's initial velocity is achieved through his ability to fly and his incredible strength. He is able to use his muscular power to propel himself forward at high speeds and break through the sound barrier.

3. Can Superman's initial velocity change?

Yes, Superman's initial velocity can change depending on the circumstances. For example, he can increase his initial velocity by using his heat vision to propel himself forward at even faster speeds. He can also decrease his initial velocity by using his powers to slow down or stop his movement.

4. How does Superman's initial velocity compare to other superheroes?

Superman's initial velocity is considered to be one of the fastest among superheroes. However, there are other superheroes such as The Flash and Quicksilver who are known for their incredible speed and can surpass Superman's initial velocity.

5. Does Superman's initial velocity have any limitations?

Superman's initial velocity is not limited by his physical abilities, but it can be affected by external factors such as air resistance and gravity. He also needs to be careful not to cause harm to others or damage to his surroundings while moving at high speeds.