Finding Maximum Height and Initial Velocity of a Thrown Ball

• Thread starter Bkrdc04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a ball is thrown upward and falls back to the ground without air resistance. The goal is to find the maximum height the ball reaches and the initial velocity at which it was thrown. Using the equations Vf=Vi+at, (Vf^2)-(Vi^2)=2ax, and x=(Vi*t)+(1/2)(a)(t^2), the maximum height is found to be 19.8 meters and the initial velocity is found to be 18.7 m/s. The solution involves dividing the problem into three velocities and times, and using substitution to solve for the initial velocity and maximum height.
Bkrdc04

Homework Statement

Standing on the ground, you throw a baseball straight upward, releasing the ball at a height of 2.00 meters. The ball travels straight up and then falls(ignoring air resistance). If the ball was in the air for a total of 3.92s, find the maximum height the ball reaches and the speed at which it was thrown.

Homework Equations

Vf=Vi+at
(Vf^2)-(Vi^2)=2ax
x=(Vi*t)+(1/2)(a)(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided my diagram into 3 velocities:
velocity initial (Vo):when the ball was released at 2.00 meters
velocity 2 (V2): velocity at the top of "bell" which is zero
and the velocity once it hit the ground (Vf)
Vi=? V2=0 m/s Vf=? i assume Vf is not important

I am treating time as a net total (3.92) and therefore tnet=3.92=t1+t2
t1: being the time it take for the ball to reach v2
t2: being the time it takes for the ball to go from v2(top of the bell with 0m/s) to the ground

*I treated x the same. Xnet=?=x1+x2
xi:the distance the projectile traveled until velocity became zero. I am assuming x1=2+?
x2: the distance the projectile traveled before reaching x=0 meters

I played around so much with the equations (substituting equations into each other) that I kept getting 2*G as the acceleration. I know that's not right because the ball was thrown upwards and therefore the velocity must be positive.

The answer ended up being:

the ball reached 19.8m high
and 18.7 m/s as the initial velocity.
I've never had a problem like this that hasn't included an initial velocity.
o_O

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the right equations; try your third one to solve for Vi (what is x and what is a and what is t?). Then use your 2nd equation to solve for h.

Related to Finding Maximum Height and Initial Velocity of a Thrown Ball

What is the general concept behind a ball being thrown upwards?

The general concept behind a ball being thrown upwards is that it is an example of projectile motion. This means that the ball is moving through the air in a curved path due to the force of gravity.

What factors affect the height and distance of a ball thrown upwards?

The height and distance of a ball thrown upwards are affected by the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is thrown, and the force of gravity acting on the ball.

What happens to the velocity of a ball as it is thrown upwards?

The velocity of a ball thrown upwards decreases as it moves higher due to the force of gravity. Once it reaches its maximum height, the velocity becomes zero before it starts to fall back down.

Can a ball thrown upwards ever reach the same height as where it was thrown from?

No, a ball thrown upwards will never reach the same height as where it was thrown from because it loses velocity and energy due to the force of gravity acting on it.

What is the relationship between the time and height of a ball thrown upwards?

The time and height of a ball thrown upwards have a direct relationship. This means that the higher the ball goes, the longer it will take to reach its maximum height and then fall back down.