Kinematics Questions: Solving for Superman's Velocity and Building Height

• Thread starter Mehta29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: The student covers the distance of 8 meters in 5 seconds.b) This is a difficult question. You need to figure out how fast the bus was going when the student started running and what the initial speed of the student was.
Mehta29
I understand the majority of introductory kinematics...except for these couple of questions...

Question #1

A student falls from a 300 M building and starts free fall, five seconds later, superman arrives and dives off the roof to save the student...

a) what must be superman's initial velocity to catch the student before he reaches the ground...

For this one, I figured for the student Vi=0, Vf=?, d=-300, a=-9.8, t = x and for superman Vi = x, Vf = ? d= -300, a = -9.8, t = x+5(or should it be -5?)

For time I get 7.8 seconds by -300= ViT - 1/2(-9.8)t^2 but if I plug that into -300 = Vi(12.8) - 1/2(-9.8)(12.8)^2 i get 86 m/s which seems very unreasonable...I think I'm doing something wrong mathematically, help woudl be appreciated...

b)What is the minimum height that the building can be for superman to be able to save the student...How I would approach this problem...I'm just drawing blanks, again any help would be greatly appreciated...What variables would I set equal to each other?

A student is trying to catch a bus, which is at rest 80 m away. She runs at a constant velocity of 8 m/s, and the bus accelerates at a rate of .2 m/s^2

a) What min speed would she have to go to catch up with the bus?

I'm thinking of graphically solving this but what exactly would I graph, I know the distances of both would be set equal, and that the person has a=0, while the bus has a=.2, but how would i manage to derive an equation out of all of this...

b) How long and how far will she have to run?
I guess this part is pretty much dependent on a) which I just need the velocity for and I can figure everything out. But I'm really stuck on what to do for part a)

Thanks again for your guys help...you guys have been great for a couple of my friends who've already taken AP Physics...too bad they're too busy with their college lives...but I hope I've been clear enough on what I need help with...

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are supposed to assume that superman starts with an initial non-zero velocity downward and accelerates only due to gravity. Do a graph of velocity vs time. The area under the graph is the distance.
Since superman starts late, he has some distance to make up (the area under the student's graph to the left of the time when superman starts). The area between superman's graph and that of the falling student is the distance that he makes up on the student. That area has to be equal to or greater than the initial distance he has to make up.

AM

Q1
a) The initial time you calculated is for the student to fall the total distance of 300 meters. So SS has (7.8 - 5) seconds of time left to save the student.

b) I think this would be the distance that the student dropped through for the first 5 seconds. So SS has just a fraction of a second time to save him/her. Using his super powers he will then need to start with a very large intial speed.

Q2
a) Maybe plot the distances covered by the student and the bus. Take the reference point for the distance measurements as the starting point of the student. So when time is zero the bus starts at a distance of 80 meters.

Last edited:

Related to Kinematics Questions: Solving for Superman's Velocity and Building Height

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the basic principles of kinematics?

The basic principles of kinematics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. Displacement refers to the distance an object has moved in a specific direction. Velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. Time is the duration of motion.

3. How is kinematics different from dynamics?

Kinematics is concerned with describing the motion of objects, while dynamics is concerned with explaining the causes of motion, such as forces and mass. In other words, kinematics is the "what" of motion, while dynamics is the "why".

4. What are the different types of motion in kinematics?

The different types of motion in kinematics include rectilinear motion (motion in a straight line), curvilinear motion (motion along a curved path), rotational motion (motion around a fixed axis), and oscillatory motion (back-and-forth motion).

5. How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in many real-life applications, including designing vehicles and machines, analyzing sports movements, predicting the motion of objects in space, and understanding the behavior of natural phenomena such as earthquakes and ocean waves.