What method should I use to solve variable mass problems in physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of two methods for solving equations involving changing mass and velocity: using the equation F=d(mv)/dt=mdv/dt+vdm/dt as a differential equation, and using first principles by considering a differential change in momentum dp and a differential impulse Fdt. The speaker is confused about when to use each method and asks for clarification. The other speaker responds that first principles always work and suggests using that method. The first speaker expresses a desire to understand why the first method works in some cases.
albega
I'm a little confused about these.

Sometimes I have seen solutions where F=d(mv)/dt=mdv/dt+vdm/dt is used and solved as a differential equation. An example is this:
A water drap falls through a cloud. It has initial mass m which increases at a constant rate km as it falls. Show that it's equation of motion is given by
kv+(1+kt)dv/dt=g(1+kt)
with v it's velocity and g the gravitational acceleration.

Sometimes however this does not seem to be applicable and we must work from first principles, equation a differential change in momentum dp to a differential impulse Fdt. An example is deriving the rocket equation, or a hot air balloon dropping sand.

My questions are:
How do I know which method to use?
Is the second method one that works for all cases whilst the first is just a special case?
If so when can I use the first method?

Physics news on Phys.org
First principles always work. Use that.

dauto said:
First principles always work. Use that.

Ok but it would be nice to understand why the first method works in some cases if anybody could explain that...

Last edited:

Related to What method should I use to solve variable mass problems in physics?

What are variable mass problems?

Variable mass problems are mathematical problems that involve objects with changing mass. This could be due to the addition or removal of material, such as fuel, or due to the variable density of the object.

What are some examples of variable mass problems?

Some common examples of variable mass problems include rocket propulsion, where the mass of the rocket decreases as fuel is burned, and projectile motion, where the mass of the object decreases as it loses mass due to air resistance.

How do you solve variable mass problems?

The key to solving variable mass problems is to use the conservation of momentum and conservation of energy principles. These principles state that the total momentum and energy of a system will remain constant, even if the mass of the system changes. By applying these principles and using appropriate equations, the problem can be solved.

What are the challenges of solving variable mass problems?

One of the main challenges of solving variable mass problems is keeping track of the changing mass throughout the problem. This can be especially challenging when dealing with complex systems or when the rate of change of mass is not constant. It is important to carefully consider all factors and make accurate calculations to solve these problems.

How are variable mass problems relevant in real life?

Variable mass problems have many real-life applications, especially in the fields of aerospace and physics. Rocket launches, space exploration, and satellite orbits all involve variable mass problems. In addition, projectile motion is relevant in sports, such as baseball and golf, where the mass of the object changes due to air resistance. Understanding and solving these problems is crucial for advancements in technology and scientific research.