Solving for Masses in an Atwood Machine

Venturi365
Homework Statement
An Atwood's machine uses two masses ##m_{1}## and ##m_{2}##. Starting from rest, the velocity of the two masses is ##v=4\,\mathrm{\frac{m}{s}}## after ##3\,\mathrm{s}##. In that instant, the kinetic energy of the system is ##E_{k}=80\,\mathrm{J}## and each one of the masses has moved ##6\,\mathrm{m}##. Calculate the values of ##m_{1}## and ##m_{2}##
Relevant Equations
##P=\frac{E_{k}}{t}##
##P=F\cdot v##
##\sum F=ma##
##E_{k}=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}##
I've tried to solve this exercise but I haven't used one of the properties of the system (the displacement of the masses) so I don't know if I'm wrong about my procedure.

First of all, we (obviously) know that

$$
P=P
$$

And since we can express the power of a force in two different ways, we can say that:

$$
\frac{E_{k}}{t}=F\cdot v \quad \text{or} \quad \frac{mv^{2}}{2t}=F\cdot v
$$

Since the energy of the system is known and the mass of the system is ##(m_{1}+m_{2})## then:

$$
\begin{split}
\frac{E_{k}}{t}&=\frac{mv^2}{2t}\\
\frac{80}{3}&=\frac{(m_{1}+m_{2})4^{2}}{2\cdot 3}\\
(m_{1}+m_{2})&=\frac{80\cdot 2\cdot 3}{16\cdot 3}\\
m_{1}+m_{2}&=10\,\mathrm{kg}
\end{split}
$$

Applying Newton's Second law we can express the forces on each mass like this:

$$
\begin{split}
w_{1}-T&=m_{1}a\\
T-w_{2}&=m_{2}a
\end{split}
$$

Adding up both equations we get:

$$
\begin{split}
m_{1}g-m_{2}g&=m_{1}a+m_{2}a\\
g(m_{1}-m_{2})&=a(m_{1}+m_{2}\\
(m_{1}+m_{2})a&=g(m_{1}-m_{2})\\
(m_{1}-m_{2}&=\frac{a(m_{1}+m_{2})}{g}\\
m_{1}-m_{2}&=\frac{\frac{4}{3}\cdot10}{9.81}\\
m_{1}-m_{2}&\approx =1.36\,\mathrm{kg}
\end{split}
$$

Now we have a simple system of equations:

$$
\begin{cases}
m_{1}+m_{2}=10\\
m_{1}-m_{2}=1.36
\end{cases}
$$

Solving we get:

$$
\begin{array}{ll}
m_{1}=1.36+m_{2} & m_{1}+4.32=10\\
1.36+m_{2}+m_{2}=10 & m_{1}=10-4.32\\
m_{2}=\frac{10-1.36}{2} & m_{1}=5.68\,\mathrm{kg}\\
m_{2}=4.32\,\mathrm{kg}
\end{array}
$$

So, am I right or did I do something wrong? The only thing that I really doubt about my procedure is the fact that I assume that the net force is ##F=a(m_{1}+m_{2})## but still I'm quite insecure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the diagram btw

imagen_2023-11-08_144406652.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot use P = E/t since the energy put into the system varies with time. In particular, at t=0 the velocity is zero so P = Fv is zero for both masses.

You have already found that ##(m_1+m_2)a=(m_1-m_2)g## where ##a=\frac{4}{3}~##m/s2. That's one equation relating the masses.
Conservation of mechanical energy is a second equation relating the masses.
You have a system of two equations and two unknowns.

Likes erobz
Orodruin said:
You cannot use P = E/t since the energy put into the system varies with time. In particular, at t=0 the velocity is zero so P = Fv is zero for both masses.
While that is true, and is certainly worth pointing out for future reference, it does not appear that @Venturi365 used ##P=Fv##. Rather, ##\frac 12mv^2=E_k## was used to find the sum of the masses and ##F=ma, a=v/t## were used to find the difference.
kuruman said:
You have already found that ##(m_1+m_2)a=(m_1-m_2)g## where ##a=\frac{4}{3}~##m/s2. That's one equation relating the masses.
Conservation of mechanical energy is a second equation relating the masses.
You have a system of two equations and two unknowns.
Seems to me that is what @Venturi365 did. The question is why the info re the distance moved was not needed. The solution to that is that, assuming constant acceleration, it was redundant: average velocity ##=\frac{u+v}2=\frac st##, ##\frac{0+4}2+\frac 63##.

haruspex said:
Seems to me that is what @Venturi365 did.
I agree. The two relevant equations that OP already has are
##m_{1}g-m_{2}g=m_{1}a+m_{2}a##
##m_1+m_2=\dfrac{2\Delta K}{v^2}##.
In this form one can solve the second equation for one of the masses and substitute in the first. The displacements would be needed if the second equation were written in terms of ##h## and ##\Delta U = -80## J. In that case, the speed would not be needed.

haruspex said:
While that is true, and is certainly worth pointing out for future reference, it does not appear that @Venturi365 used ##P=Fv##. Rather, ##\frac 12mv^2=E_k## was used to find the sum of the masses and ##F=ma, a=v/t## were used to find the difference.

Seems to me that is what @Venturi365 did. The question is why the info re the distance moved was not needed. The solution to that is that, assuming constant acceleration, it was redundant: average velocity ##=\frac{u+v}2=\frac st##, ##\frac{0+4}2+\frac 63##.
It's right that I started with one statement and ended up forgetting it, I apologise for that. However, this means that I didn't commit any misconception, right?

Venturi365 said:
It's right that I started with one statement and ended up forgetting it, I apologise for that. However, this means that I didn't commit any misconception, right?
It appears that you had a misconception, but did not rely on it in your solution.

haruspex said:
It appears that you had a misconception

Yeah, you're right about that.

Thank you so much!

Likes berkeman

1. How do you determine the mass of objects in an Atwood Machine?

In an Atwood Machine, the masses can be determined by using the equation M = (m1 - m2)g/(a1 + a2), where M is the total mass, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a1 and a2 are the accelerations of the objects.

2. What is the purpose of solving for masses in an Atwood Machine?

The purpose of solving for masses in an Atwood Machine is to determine the individual masses of the objects involved in order to understand the dynamics of the system and to make accurate predictions about its behavior.

3. How does the acceleration of the Atwood Machine affect the mass calculations?

The acceleration of the Atwood Machine affects the mass calculations because it is a factor in the equation used to solve for the masses. As the acceleration changes, the calculated masses will also change.

4. Can the masses in an Atwood Machine be calculated if the acceleration is not known?

No, the masses in an Atwood Machine cannot be calculated if the acceleration is not known. The equation used to solve for masses requires the acceleration to be known in order to get an accurate result.

5. Are there any limitations to solving for masses in an Atwood Machine?

Yes, there are limitations to solving for masses in an Atwood Machine. The equation used to solve for masses assumes that there is no friction or air resistance present in the system, which may not be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the masses must be relatively small compared to the total mass of the system for the equation to be accurate.