What major is best for a career in finance on Wall Street: Applied Math or Econ?

In summary, the conversation revolves around deciding the best major for a career in quantitative finance or as an analyst on Wall Street. The speaker is considering majoring in applied math or economics, and possibly combining it with a finance minor. They are also interested in using math to predict companies' growth and decline. The recommendation is to focus on mathematics, but also take economics classes to show motivation for pursuing a career in business or finance.
NextElement
I'm trying to decide what major would be best for being a quant or an analyst on Wall Street. I know this is a route a lot of applied math majors go, but is that also true for Econ? I've always thought of economics as more philosophy and business oriented, while math is math!

I recently got accepted to IU-Bloomington, and I know they have a decent math program, so maybe it would be easier to just combine it with an Econ or finance minor?

What do you guys recommend for a numbers person who wants to keep career options open?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would definitely focus more on the mathematics -you still have the option for something like a quant, but you really aren't restricted to that, there are many industrial jobs in mathematics now, and there is also the academic route of course. I can't speak for an econ major

NextElement said:
I'm trying to decide what major would be best for being a quant or an analyst on Wall Street. I know this is a route a lot of applied math majors go, but is that also true for Econ? I've always thought of economics as more philosophy and business oriented, while math is math!

I recently got accepted to IU-Bloomington, and I know they have a decent math program, so maybe it would be easier to just combine it with an Econ or finance minor?

What do you guys recommend for a numbers person who wants to keep career options open?

Hi, fellow hoosier!

a couple questions for you first,
are you only interested in quantitative finance and financial engineering? or do you like economics/finance/Research etc . . .?

Raioneru- Not sure exactly what it's called. What I'm interested in is probably more towards the statistics side, using math to predict companies growth or decline, stocks, etc. I'm not sure what category that falls under.

since those terms are unknown to you, you should look them up.
judging from your answer, seems like you're mostly interested in Quant Finance / Fin Eng.
Most programs will require programming skills, mathematics: linear algebra, probability and statistics (if you can PDE but I believe they will have a PDE course in their curriculum anyway).

Now most programs will look for students with a quantitative background such as maths, physics, computer science etc . . .
If you want to take economics classes, I would assume that they can't hurt you and if you do well in them it will show graduate schools your motivation to pursue a career in business/economics/finance.

Related to What major is best for a career in finance on Wall Street: Applied Math or Econ?

What is the difference between an Applied Math and Econ major?

An Applied Math major focuses on the use of mathematical and statistical methods to solve real-world problems in various fields such as engineering, science, and finance. On the other hand, an Econ major focuses on the study of human behavior and decision-making in the context of production, consumption, and distribution of goods and services.

Which major is more applicable in the job market?

Both majors have a wide range of job opportunities, but an Applied Math major may have an advantage in fields such as data analysis, financial modeling, and risk management. An Econ major, on the other hand, may have an advantage in fields such as market research, consulting, and policy analysis.

Can I double major in Applied Math and Econ?

Yes, it is possible to double major in Applied Math and Econ. However, it may require careful planning and a heavier course load. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure that all requirements for both majors are fulfilled.

Which major is more math-intensive?

Both majors require a strong foundation in mathematics, but an Applied Math major typically includes more advanced courses in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. An Econ major may also involve some math courses, but the focus is more on applying mathematical concepts to economic theories and models.

What skills will I develop in an Applied Math major vs an Econ major?

An Applied Math major will develop strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, as well as proficiency in mathematical and statistical techniques. An Econ major will develop skills in data analysis, economic theory, and policy analysis, as well as strong communication and research skills.