What kind of problem is this. (Seperable or Bernoullis) / Diff EQ

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an initial value problem involving an equation with mixed variables and determining the correct method to separate the variables. The individual attempts to use a substitution method but is unsure if it is correct.
Squizzel

Homework Statement

xy^2 dy/dx = y^3 - x^3 , y(1) = 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It says to solve the initial value problem. I am assuming it is not a Bernoulli, but I can't seem to separate it. What should I do?Thanks

This is what I get when I separate it, is this right?y^2-y^3 dy = -x^2 dx

Physics news on Phys.org
Squizzel said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

It says to solve the initial value problem. I am assuming it is not a Bernoulli, but I can't seem to separate it. What should I do?

Thanks

This is what I get when I separate it, is this right?

y^2-y^3 dy = -x^2 dx

xy^2 dy/dx = y^3 - x^3
dy/dx = y/x - x^2/y^2

Squizzel said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

It says to solve the initial value problem. I am assuming it is not a Bernoulli, but I can't seem to separate it. What should I do?

Thanks

This is what I get when I separate it, is this right?

y^2-y^3 dy = -x^2 dx
How do you get that last line?

It should be y2 dx - y3 dy = -x2 dx, which is not separated.

Try the substitution, y = xv .

Related to What kind of problem is this. (Seperable or Bernoullis) / Diff EQ

What is the difference between a separable differential equation and a Bernoulli differential equation?

A separable differential equation is one in which the dependent variable and independent variable can be separated on opposite sides of the equation. A Bernoulli differential equation is a non-linear differential equation that can be transformed into a linear differential equation by using a substitution or transformation.

How can I determine if a problem is a separable or Bernoulli differential equation?

To determine if a problem is a separable differential equation, check if the equation can be separated into two functions, one with only the dependent variable and the other with only the independent variable. If this is possible, then it is a separable differential equation. To determine if it is a Bernoulli differential equation, check if it is a non-linear equation that can be transformed into a linear equation by using a substitution or transformation.

What are some common applications of separable and Bernoulli differential equations?

Separable differential equations are commonly used to model population growth, radioactive decay, and other physical phenomena. Bernoulli differential equations are used in economics, biology, and physics to model various systems, including population dynamics, chemical reactions, and fluid flow.

Can a differential equation be both separable and Bernoulli?

No, a differential equation can only be one or the other. However, a separable differential equation can sometimes be transformed into a Bernoulli differential equation through a change of variables.

What techniques can be used to solve separable and Bernoulli differential equations?

The most common technique for solving a separable differential equation is separation of variables, which involves isolating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation. For Bernoulli differential equations, a substitution or transformation can be used to convert the equation into a linear differential equation, which can then be solved using various methods, such as integrating factors or exact equations.