What kind of grad schools can I realistically aim for?

• Schools
  • Thread starter xbomber88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad Schools
In summary, the person in the conversation is a college sophomore who recently changed their major to physics and has developed a strong passion for it. They are curious about their potential for getting into grad school and the impact of their small liberal arts program on their chances. They are also considering staying an extra year to better prepare for grad school and have concerns about their grades and the courses they can take. They are aiming for top 25 programs, including UC Berkeley and UChicago. They are advised to talk to a physics professor about their scheduling concerns and to line up a major advisor. The conversation also highlights the importance of research opportunities and strong letters of recommendation for getting into grad school.
xbomber88
I am a college sophomore who has recently changed my major to physics and really fallen in love with it. My freshmen year I was a business major but found it to be really boring and didn't like my school so I transferred to a highly ranked liberal arts college with the intention of majoring in math. However, once I got there I decided after a few months that I really loved physics and decided to change my major to physics. I'm taking my first real class in physics this semester, mechanics. I did take physics in high school but I stupidly decided not to take AP physics and just took a normal non calculus based physics class and it was ridiculously easy and kind of boring so back ten I didn't realize how much I liked physics. But I've really fallen in love with the course I'm taking now. I know this may seem kind of premature since I'm just now taking my first course in physics but I really think that I probably want to get a PhD in physics. So basically what I'm wondering is what kind of grad schools I'll be able to get into if I work really hard. How does the GRE compare to the SAT? If I got an 800 on the quantitative section of the SAT can I expect to do that well or at least close to that well on the GRE? Will the fact that I'm coming from a small liberal arts program that doesn't have a very big physics department hurt me? I guess there is some advantage to it because I think I should be able to get involved in research pretty easily once I get enough physics courses under my belt. But there aren't as many options of different courses for me to take and all of the courses in the department are only offered once a year so it's going to be hard for me to get everything I need to be prepared for grad school in only 3 years since I'm just starting the major now as a sophomore. I've thought about taking 5 years to finish my undergrad degree instead of 4 so that I can be better prepared but I'm not sure if I want to do that because it will be expensive. But if I don't stay an extra year there are some courses such as statistical mechanics that I won't get a chance to take. I'm not really sure how big of a deal that is. But also I'll have to take more physics courses per semester if I only stay 4 years and I imagine that will have some affect on my GPA. And of course I'll get the chance to do more research if I stay an extra year. Should I consider staying an extra year or should I just try to finish the entire major in 3 years? As for my grades I had a very high GPA at my old school. I had a 3.9. But admittedly I was at an easier school and I was doing an easier major. But I think I have a good shot at getting all A's in my courses this semester. The physics related courses I'm taking are mechanics and vector calculus. If I work really hard, get involved in a lot of research, and manage to graduate from here with a high GPA what kind of grad schools would I realistically have a good shot at getting into? My guess is that I'll probably be able to get into some top 25 programs though not necessarily top 10 but I really have no idea. I really think that I'd like to go to UC Berkeley or UChicago but I may be aiming a little too high there.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you haven't done it yet, talk to one of the physics professors about your scheduling concerns. They're in a better position to tell you what's possible in three years. Also, they might be willing to help you out by letting you take certain courses on your own on a "directed study" basis if you're a good enough student to handle it, and you'd have trouble taking all your courses otherwise what with scheduling conflicts etc. I've taught courses on that basis occasionally.

When you declare a major, do you have to pick one of the professors to serve as your major advisor? That's what we do here. If your school does that too, might as well line up someone now.

As far as getting into grad school is concerned, students who do well at small liberal-arts colleges do it all the time. I went to a not-very-prestigious college in Ohio, and got into Michigan for grad school. All three of the other physics majors in my graduating class also got into grad school: Ohio State, Tufts, and Washington University (St. Louis). Getting into grad school is much more about you and what you did, and the recommendations you get from your professors, than it is about the prestige of the school you attended.

Make the most of whatever research opportunities your school offers. Also consider REU's at other schools during the summer. If you do well in them, you should be able to get good letters of recommendation out of them.

First of all, congratulations on discovering your passion for physics and making the brave decision to switch majors! It's never too late to follow your interests and it sounds like you are off to a great start.

In terms of grad schools, it's difficult to say exactly which ones you will be able to get into without knowing your specific academic achievements and research experience. However, it's important to keep in mind that grad schools look at a variety of factors when considering applicants, not just grades or test scores. Your research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement are also very important.

As for the GRE, it is a different test than the SAT and focuses more on critical thinking and problem solving skills. While a high score on the SAT is a good indication of your potential to do well on the GRE, it's important to also prepare specifically for the GRE and take practice tests to get a better sense of your abilities.

Coming from a small liberal arts program may not necessarily hurt your chances of getting into grad school. In fact, as you mentioned, it may give you more opportunities for research and closer relationships with your professors. However, it's important to make sure you are still taking a variety of physics courses and challenging yourself academically.

As for whether or not to stay an extra year to finish your major, that is ultimately a personal decision and will depend on your financial situation and other factors. However, keep in mind that grad schools will be looking at the quality of your coursework, not just the quantity. So if you feel like you can still excel in your courses and do research while finishing in 3 years, that may be a better option for you.

In terms of specific grad schools, it's difficult to say without knowing more about your academic achievements and research experience. However, with a high GPA and strong research experience, you may have a good chance at getting into some top 25 programs. It's always good to aim high, but also have some backup options in mind. You never know what opportunities may arise during your undergraduate career that could influence your grad school plans.

Overall, the best advice I can give is to work hard, continue to explore your interests in physics, and take advantage of research opportunities. With a strong academic record and research experience, you will have a good chance at getting into a grad school that is a good fit for you. Best of luck in your academic journey!

Related to What kind of grad schools can I realistically aim for?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing grad schools to apply to?

When considering grad schools, you should think about the program's reputation, faculty and research opportunities, location, cost, and fit with your academic and career goals.

2. How do I determine which grad schools are realistic for me?

It is important to research the average GPA and test scores of admitted students at the grad schools you are interested in. You should also consider your own qualifications, experiences, and strengths, and compare them to the requirements and expectations of the programs.

3. Can I apply to grad schools with a lower GPA or test scores?

While a high GPA and test scores can improve your chances of getting into top grad schools, they are not the only factors that admissions committees consider. If you have a lower GPA or test scores, you can still apply to grad schools that align with your academic and career goals and showcase your strengths and experiences in your application.

4. Do I need to have research experience to get into a top grad school?

Research experience can be beneficial and even necessary for certain programs, but it is not always a requirement for admission. If you do not have research experience, you can highlight other relevant experiences and skills that demonstrate your potential for success in a graduate program.

5. How can I improve my chances of getting into my dream grad school?

To improve your chances of getting into your dream grad school, you can focus on maintaining a high GPA, gaining relevant experiences, crafting a strong personal statement, securing strong letters of recommendation, and preparing for standardized tests. It is also important to apply to multiple grad schools to increase your chances of acceptance.