What is the velocity of a rod released inside a cart?

In summary, the problem involves a rod of mass m attached to the ceiling inside a cart of mass 6m. The length of the rod is L and it is free to rotate about its point of suspension. Using conservation of energy and momentum, the velocity of the center of mass of the rod is found to be √(7/6gl) with respect to the earth, and the relative velocity between the rod and cart is √(21gl)/5. However, this solution may be incorrect due to not accounting for all of the kinetic energy of the rod.
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
A rod of mass m is attached on the ceiling inside a cart of mass 6m kept at rest. Length of rod is L. Find the velocity of rod with respect to cart when the rod becomes vertical after releasing it. The rod is free to rotate about its point of suspension.
Untitled.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy and momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

With respect to earth, let velocity of center of mass of rod be ##v_1## and velocity of cart be ##v_2##.
Using COE,
$$mg\frac{l}{2}=\frac{1}{2}mv_1^2+\frac{1}{2}(6m)v_2^2$$
Since centre of mass remains at rest, ##mv_1=6mv_2##
$$V_1=\sqrt{\frac{7}{6}gl}$$
So ##v_{\text{rel}}=\frac{v}{6}+v##
But I am not getting the correct answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is one end of the rod attached to the ceiling of the cart so that the rod is free to rotate about this end?
Did you account for all of the KE of the rod?

Also, the problem statement doesn't specify which point of the rod is used when finding the "velocity of rod with respect to cart".

Last edited:
Likes Titan97
@TSny question edited. They have used concept of reduced mass to solve it. But wrong in my method?

You have left out some of the KE of the rod.

Likes Titan97
Oh. Is it the rotational kinetic energy?

Titan97 said:
Oh. Is it the rotational kinetic energy?
Yes.

Likes Titan97
Hello , I get ##\frac{\sqrt{21gl}}{5}## as the answer .Is this what I should be getting ?

conscience said:
Hello , I get ##\frac{\sqrt{21gl}}{5}## as the answer .Is this what I should be getting ?
Yes, I believe that is the correct speed of the center of the rod relative to the cart when the rod is vertical.

Thanks

Related to What is the velocity of a rod released inside a cart?

1. What is the purpose of keeping a rod inside a cart?

The purpose of keeping a rod inside a cart is to transport the rod from one place to another. The cart provides a convenient and efficient way to move the rod without having to carry it by hand.

2. How should the rod be secured inside the cart?

The rod should be securely fastened inside the cart to prevent it from moving or falling out. This can be done by using straps, ropes, or other securing devices to hold the rod in place.

3. Can any type of rod be kept inside a cart?

Yes, most types of rods can be kept inside a cart as long as they fit and are securely fastened. However, it is important to consider the weight and size of the rod in relation to the cart's capacity and dimensions.

4. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when storing a rod in a cart?

Yes, it is important to make sure the rod is properly secured and balanced in the cart to prevent it from tipping over or causing any accidents. It is also important to be cautious when moving the cart with the rod inside to avoid any injuries.

5. Can a rod be kept inside a cart for long periods of time?

Yes, a rod can be kept inside a cart for extended periods of time as long as it is stored in a safe and dry place. However, it is recommended to periodically check the rod and the cart for any signs of damage or wear and tear.