What is the velocity and time needed to solve this kinematics problem?

In summary, a new member is seeking help with a problem involving acceleration and velocity of a particle. They have provided initial values and are looking for the velocity when x = 24 m and the time it takes for the particle to come to rest. They have attempted to solve the problem using integration but are stuck and may post their calculations for assistance.
lidakeo
Hi guys. I'm new here. If i did any mistake please forgive me.

First of all I have a simple problem need all of you to help me.

Here is the problem

The acceleration of a particle is defined by the relation a = -k√v, where k is constant.
Knowing that
x = 0 and v = 81 m/s at t = 0
and v = 36 m/s x = 18 m

determine
(a) the velocity of the particle when x = 24 m
(b) the time required for the particle to come to rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
using ##a=v\frac{dv}{dx}## or ##a=\frac{dv}{dt}## and some integration, can you find a relation between v and x?

MrWarlock616 said:
using ##a=v\frac{dv}{dx}## or ##a=\frac{dv}{dt}## and some integration, can you find a relation between v and x?

I did but it not work for me. Maybe I missed some part. I'll try again. Thank for reply.

You can post your calculations if you are stuck. :smile:

MrWarlock616 said:
You can post your calculations if you are stuck. :smile:

I'll reply back. If I got stuck again. :smile:

Related to What is the velocity and time needed to solve this kinematics problem?

What is kinematics of particles?

Kinematics of particles is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion of individual particles, including their position, velocity, and acceleration.

What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics?

Kinematics deals with the description of motion without considering the cause or forces that are responsible for the motion. Dynamics, on the other hand, studies the relationship between forces and the motion of objects.

What are the basic equations of kinematics?

The basic equations of kinematics are the equations of motion, which include displacement = initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time^2, final velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x time, and average velocity = (initial velocity + final velocity)/2.

What are the different types of motion in kinematics?

The different types of motion in kinematics include rectilinear motion (motion in a straight line), curvilinear motion (motion along a curved path), and rotational motion (motion around an axis).

How is kinematics used in real-life applications?

Kinematics is used in various real-life applications, such as designing and analyzing the motion of vehicles, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and understanding the movement of celestial bodies. It is also used in sports science to analyze the performance of athletes and in robotics to program the movement of robots.