What is the ultimate internal stress of silica aerogels in compression mode?

In summary, the ultimate internal stress of silica aerogels in compression mode is a key factor in determining their mechanical properties. These lightweight, highly porous materials have been shown to have a high compressive strength, but their ultimate internal stress varies depending on factors such as density, porosity, and fabrication method. Research has also shown that the ultimate internal stress of silica aerogels can be increased through methods such as reinforcement with fibers or nanoparticles, making them even more suitable for applications in areas such as aerospace and insulation.
lavalite
How did you find PF?
Google Search
Hello,
I'm an avid fan of science and math and love trying to solve the worlds problems using both. While I don't have any formal education in a science or math field I love using my natural talents in those areas whenever possible.

I also love anything Science Fiction/Fact or Comedy related. I'm currently looking into what applications aerogels might have for some personal projects. If you can help by answering the question that I left in the Materials and Chemical Engineering Forum I'd really appreciate it. I'll post my question here as well: "I believe I am seeking data on the ultimate internal stress of various silica aerogels in compression mode.

I found a paper published by Dylan J. Boday where CVD of cyanoacrylates was used to reinforce the aerogels (1). A three-point compression analysis and rupture strength is discussed, but not internal stress. Is it possible to calculate the internal stress from the listed rupture strengths?

(1) Boday, D. et al.; chemistry of materials, 2008, 2009, 2847"

Thanks and I look forward to connecting!

Attachments

• Strong, Low-Density Nanocomposites by.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF; it's good to have you here. You should get good responses to your thread start in the Materials forum, especially since you posted a reference that you've been reading. That's always a good thing to do with PF thread starts. :smile:

Ok thanks!

Likes berkeman