What is the true story behind Tycho Brahe's missing nose?

• Thread starter RyanJones
  • Start date
In summary, the story of Tycho Brahe losing his nose in a duel with another astronomer is a well-known legend that has been repeated in textbooks and online without proper attribution. However, the original source of this story can be traced back to Wikipedia, which mentions a section about it. While there is evidence that Tycho did indeed have a prosthetic nose, the reason for its loss in the duel is still uncertain.
RyanJones
In textbooks, I've read the story of Tycho Brahe losing his nose in a duel with another astronomer since I was a teenager. My question is, what is the original source of this story? I've looked online and only find the story repeated without attribution. I've always loved the story of Brahe and Kepler and wanted to share it with some students (English, not Science), but I didn't want to pass down a legend without knowing the factual basis for it. Thanks.

(Just to be specific, I realize that the fact of Tycho's missing nose is supported by portraits of him...I just want to know if he really lost it in an argument over who was the better astronomer!)

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanJones said:
In textbooks, I've read the story of Tycho Brahe losing his nose in a duel with another astronomer since I was a teenager. My question is, what is the original source of this story? I've looked online and only find the story repeated without attribution. I've always loved the story of Brahe and Kepler and wanted to share it with some students (English, not Science), but I didn't want to pass down a legend without knowing the factual basis for it. Thanks.

(Just to be specific, I realize that the fact of Tycho's missing nose is supported by portraits of him...I just want to know if he really lost it in an argument over who was the better astronomer!)
Wikipedia has a section on the story of Tycho losing his nose:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tycho_Brahe {See Tycho's Nose}

Tycho had a running quarrel with a cousin over some mathematical formula, and a duel eventually ensued. Tycho lost the argument by a nose. :H:)):eek::rolleyes:o_O

Tycho's body was exhumed from his tomb in 1901 and 2010, and the fake nose was examined. It was made of brass.

Likes RyanJones

Related to What is the true story behind Tycho Brahe's missing nose?

What was Tycho Brahe's nose made of?

Tycho Brahe's nose was made of a copper alloy, which was common for prosthetic noses during his time.

Why did Tycho Brahe need a prosthetic nose?

Tycho Brahe lost a portion of his nose in a duel with his cousin over a mathematical disagreement.

Did Tycho Brahe's nose affect his scientific career?

Some historians argue that Tycho Brahe's prosthetic nose may have hindered his ability to smell and potentially impacted his work with scents in alchemy experiments.

What happened to Tycho Brahe's nose after his death?

After his death, Tycho Brahe's body was exhumed and his nose was found to still be intact. It is currently on display at the Danish Museum of National History.

What was Tycho Brahe's contribution to modern astronomy?

Tycho Brahe's contributions include his precise and extensive astronomical observations, which were used by Johannes Kepler to develop his laws of planetary motion. He also popularized the heliocentric model of the solar system and paved the way for future advancements in astronomy.