What is the true definition of inertia and where can it be found?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best resources for understanding fundamental physics concepts, specifically inertia. The speaker suggests starting with Google, but notes that the original source, Newton's Principia, may not be the most accessible. They also mention the importance of experimentation and reasoning in truly grasping these concepts. The conversation ends with a discussion about finding an English translation of Newton's Principia, with some links provided for translated chapters.
student85
Lately I've been curious about the very meaning of the most fundamental concepts in physics like inertia. Where do you think is the best place to look for these definitions. Newton's principia?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest starting with google. :smile:

Has anyone here read the principia?

I imagine it wouldn't be too friendly to read. We're used to 3D illustrations in our physics textbooks, reinforcement through applications, etc. I haven't read the principia.

I think to feel and be moved by fundamental physics concepts like inertia, you need to go out, experiment and reason it out for yourself.

Where could I find a copy of Newton's Principia?

Wow, 2 whole seconds to look on google.

http://burndy.mit.edu/Collections/Babson/Online/pdfs/Books/PrincipiaMathematica1726.pdf

(Hope you know latin)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pete81t said:
Where could I find a copy of Newton's Principia?

Don't want to discourage you, but you'll be very dissapointed. :smile:

An English translation perhaps? Thanks. I don't know about you, but I'm not exactly a Latin scholar. And another thing, I meant a copy in book form, such as my copy of St. Thomas Aquinas's "Summa Theologica".

Here are some chapters translated: http://members.tripod.com/~gravitee/" .

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is the true definition of inertia and where can it be found?

Question 1: What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will continue moving in the same direction and at the same speed unless acted upon by an external force.

Question 2: How is inertia related to mass?

Inertia is directly proportional to an object's mass. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia and the harder it is to change its state of motion.

Question 3: What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object and is measured in kilograms. Weight is the force of gravity acting on an object and is measured in newtons. While mass remains constant regardless of location, weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational pull.

Question 4: Can an object have inertia even if it is not moving?

Yes, an object can have inertia even if it is not moving. This is because inertia refers to an object's resistance to changes in its state of motion, not necessarily its current state of motion. An object at rest still has the tendency to remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force.

Question 5: How does Newton's first law of motion relate to inertia?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. This law directly relates to the concept of inertia, as it explains an object's tendency to resist changes in its state of motion.