Inertia - two objects falling

In summary, it seems that the heavier object will take longer to start falling because of its greater inertia.
compuser123
I've read other posts about this but I don't think this question was covered.

Say you have two objects with different masses in a vacuum sitting on some kind of plank. Next, you remove the plank from both at the same time. The heavier object has a greater inertia, which means that it has a greater tendency to resist change. Does that mean that it will take longer to start falling? By longer I mean something that can't been seen with the naked eye, but a computer can detect the difference in time to start falling.

Physics news on Phys.org
compuser123 said:

Say you have two objects with different masses in a vacuum sitting on some kind of plank. Next, you remove the plank from both at the same time. The heavier object has a greater inertia, which means that it has a greater tendency to resist change. Does that mean that it will take longer to start falling? By longer I mean something that can't been seen with the naked eye, but a computer can detect the difference in time to start falling.

It seems to me that if it doesn't start falling immediately, then it never will. Why would it "wait" before starting to fall?

Thanks guys. Your help is much appreciated.

compuser123 said:

To add, it may take more effort to get the heavier object to move, but the gravitational force acting on it is also larger! So can think of those two effects counteracting with one another.

Zz.

Related to Inertia - two objects falling

What is inertia?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to change its state of motion. This means that if an object is at rest, it will stay at rest unless acted upon by an external force. Similarly, if an object is in motion, it will continue to move in the same direction and at the same speed unless an external force is applied.

How does inertia relate to two objects falling?

Inertia plays a role in the motion of two objects falling due to gravity. When two objects are dropped from the same height, the object with a greater mass will have a greater inertia and will require a larger force to change its motion. This is why a feather and a rock may fall at different rates in a vacuum, despite experiencing the same gravitational force.

What is the difference between mass and inertia?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to change its state of motion. Mass and inertia are directly proportional, meaning that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia will be.

How does Newton's First Law of Motion relate to inertia?

Newtons's First Law of Motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This directly relates to inertia, as it explains the tendency of objects to resist changes in their state of motion.

How can inertia be manipulated in two objects falling?

Inertia can be manipulated in two objects falling by changing the objects' masses. A heavier object will have a greater inertia and will require a larger force to change its motion, whereas a lighter object will have a lower inertia and can be more easily influenced by external forces.