What is the specific heat capacity of the petroleum?

In summary, the question asks for the specific heat capacity of petroleum, given a copper calorimeter with a heat capacity of 75 J/K, 300 g of petroleum with a starting temperature of 17.8 C, and a copper weight of 100 g at 100 C being added to the petroleum, resulting in a final temperature of 22 C. Using the equation C_pet*m_pet(t2-ts)+C_cop*m_cop(t2-t1)+C_cal*m_cal(t2-t1)=0, we can solve for the specific heat capacity of petroleum, which is found to be 20.4 J/(kg*K). However, this value does not match with the known value of approximately 1900 J/(
Hoejer

Homework Statement

A copper calorimeter with the heatcapacity of 75 J/K has 300 g of petrolium in it. The starttemp. is 17.8 C. A kobberweight of 100 g. is 100Celcius. It is being put in the petroleum, where the temperature ends up being 22 C. The specifik heatcapacity of coppe ris 387J(kg/K)
What is petroleums specifik heat capacity?

Homework Equations

C_pet*m_pet(t2-ts)+C_cop*m_cop(t2-t1)+C_cal*m_cal(t2-t1)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have overlooked something - so I just need hints on the way.

I don't have the mass of the calorimeter, but I now that it's heatcapacity is 75 J/K and I know that it's made of coper and the specifik heat capacity of that is 387 J(kg*K)

If that is the way to go, then I have all the variables except the specifik heat capacity of petroleum, and then I just isolate C-Pet and it's piece of cake!

Physics news on Phys.org
the the mass of the calorimeter must be 75/387 = 0.193 kg = 193 g

Which then means C_pet*300(22-100)+387*100(22-17.8)+387*193(22-17.8)=0

C_pet = 20.4 J(kg/K)

Which isn't true as looking in table it is around 1900 J/(kg*K)

No help?

Related to What is the specific heat capacity of the petroleum?

1. What is a calorimeter heat capacity?

A calorimeter heat capacity is a measure of the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a calorimeter by one degree Celsius. It is a property that is specific to each calorimeter and is used to accurately calculate the amount of heat released or absorbed during a reaction.

2. How is calorimeter heat capacity determined?

Calorimeter heat capacity is typically determined by performing a calibration experiment, where a known amount of heat is added to the calorimeter and the resulting temperature change is measured. The heat capacity can then be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat added, m is the mass of the calorimeter, c is the heat capacity, and ΔT is the temperature change.

3. What factors affect the heat capacity of a calorimeter?

The heat capacity of a calorimeter can be affected by various factors such as the material and construction of the calorimeter, the presence of any insulating materials, and the amount of stirring or agitation during the experiment. Additionally, the heat capacity may vary with temperature, so it is important to calibrate the calorimeter at the same temperature as the experiment.

4. Why is it important to know the calorimeter heat capacity?

Knowing the calorimeter heat capacity is crucial for accurately measuring the amount of heat released or absorbed during a reaction. Without this knowledge, the calculated heat of reaction may be incorrect, leading to inaccurate conclusions about the nature of the reaction or the substances involved.

5. Can the calorimeter heat capacity be changed?

Yes, the calorimeter heat capacity can be changed by altering the construction or materials of the calorimeter. However, once the heat capacity is determined through calibration, it should remain constant for subsequent experiments. It is important to use the same calorimeter for all experiments to ensure accurate results.