What is the solution to the integral (1-y^2/y^2)^2 dy from a calc 2 exam?

In summary, the student attempted to solve an integrtion problem, but made a mistake in the second term that caused the incorrect answer.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

From an exam in calc 2 we are reviewing simple integrals. This one was annoying because it actually contained algebra.. regardless.

[itex]\int(\frac{1 - y^{2}}{y^{2}})^{2} dy[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I broke it into two fractions, and turned the second into 1 as it is y squared over y squared.

[itex]\int(\frac{1}{y^{2}} - 1)^{2} dy[/itex]

Then squared the polynomial of sorts.. to get

[itex]\int y^{-4} - y^{-2} - y^{-2} + 1 dy[/itex]

Leading me to a final answer of

[itex]- \frac{y^{-3}}{3} + 2y^{-1} + y + C[/itex]

Look okay? A bit rusty in algebra..

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me!

1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

From an exam in calc 2 we are reviewing simple integrals. This one was annoying because it actually contained algebra.. regardless.

[itex]\int(\frac{1 - y^{2}}{y^{2}})^{2} dy[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I broke it into two fractions, and turned the second into 1 as it is y squared over y squared.

[itex]\int(\frac{1}{y^{2}} - 1)^{2} dy[/itex]

Then squared the polynomial of sorts.. to get

[itex]\int y^{-4} - y^{-2} - y^{-2} + 1 dy[/itex]

Leading me to a final answer of

[itex]- \frac{y^{-3}}{3} + 2y^{-1} + y + C[/itex]
There's a mistake in your 2nd term. The coefficient of the y-1 term should be 1, not 2.

Also, a slightly different approach is to square the numerator and denominator of your fraction instead of doing the division first. This leads to the same result, though, so can't really be considered a better approach.
1MileCrash said:
Look okay? A bit rusty in algebra..

Mark44 said:
There's a mistake in your 2nd term. The coefficient of the y-1 term should be 1, not 2.

How so? After integration of -y^-2 I get +y^-1, and there are two instances of -y^-2. All I did was add them together for 2y^-1.

Mark44 said:

His integral shows that he is adding y^-2 to y^-2; he just fails to simplify before he integrates. I think that's where his 2 comes from.

Sorry, I totally missed that there was another y-1 term. My mistake...

No problem, thanks guys!

Related to What is the solution to the integral (1-y^2/y^2)^2 dy from a calc 2 exam?

1. What is an easy integral?

An easy integral is a mathematical calculation that involves finding the area under a curve. It is considered easy because it can be solved using simple integration techniques, such as the power rule or u-substitution.

2. How do I solve an easy integral from an exam?

To solve an easy integral from an exam, you should start by identifying the type of integral and then use the appropriate integration technique. It is also important to check your answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving an easy integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving an easy integral include forgetting to apply the chain rule, making algebraic errors, and forgetting to include the constant of integration. It is also important to carefully check your work for any mistakes.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve an easy integral?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve an easy integral. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration, as calculators may not always be allowed or may not provide accurate answers.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving easy integrals for exams?

To improve your skills in solving easy integrals for exams, you should practice solving a variety of integrals using different techniques. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions to better understand the concepts. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with common integration rules and techniques can also be helpful.