What is the significance of a massive relativistic particle?

In summary: In physics, "massive" generally means any non-zero mass, while "massless" means a mass of 0.In summary, the equations E = 0.5mv2 and p2/2m are appropriate for particles with speeds much less than the speed of light. For particles with speeds close to the speed of light, Special Relativity must be used. When m = 0, the Newtonian equations do not work and a different equation is needed to express the energy of the particle. "Massive" in physics refers to any non-zero mass, while "massless" means a mass of 0.
hasan_researc

Homework Statement

My teacher has written in his lecture notes that
For massive relativistic particles, E = 0.5mv2 = p2/2m.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why the particle has to be massive for the equation to work.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, by "relativistic particles" one means particles with speeds close to the speed of light. If that's the case, then the equations that you have are not appropriate. They are appropriate when the speed is much less than the speed of light. Assuming that to be the case, what do the equations predict that the momentum and energy of the particles would be if you set m = 0?

m = 0 is for a photon. In that case, E = pc is the enrgy-momentum relation.

But if we set m = 0 for particles and use the Newtonian relations, then E = 0. But how does that help??

Newtonian mechanics do not work on photons.
At high speeds, you will have to resort to Special Relativity.

hasan_researc said:
m = 0 is for a photon. In that case, E = pc is the enrgy-momentum relation.

But if we set m = 0 for particles and use the Newtonian relations, then E = 0. But how does that help??
Your original question was "I don't understand why the particle has to be massive for the equation to work." You have just deduced that if the particle is not massive (m=0) and you use that equation, you get E=0. There can be two cases

1. The use of the equation is correct for a massless particle and a massless particle has no energy, ever.
2. The use of the equation is incorrect for a massless particle and you need a different equation to express its energy.

You have already stated that for a massless particle E = pc, therefore you believe that case 2 is what's happening and I agree. It follows then that these equations do not work for massless particles which means that they work only for ___________ particles.

for massive particles, then??

But why use the word "massive"? I thought a massive body is a body with a very large mass.

hasan_researc said:
for massive particles, then??

But why use the word "massive"? I thought a massive body is a body with a very large mass.
In ordinary language yes. In physics "massive" is normally used as opposed to "massless".

hasan_researc said:

Then what is "very large mass"? 1 tons? 1000 tons? 1 million tons? The terms large and small are relative.

Related to What is the significance of a massive relativistic particle?

What is a relativistic particle?

A relativistic particle is a particle that is traveling at speeds close to the speed of light. This behavior is described by the theory of relativity and has implications for the particle's mass, energy, and momentum.

How do relativistic particles differ from non-relativistic particles?

Relativistic particles have a higher energy and momentum compared to non-relativistic particles due to their high speeds. Additionally, relativistic particles have a changing mass, whereas non-relativistic particles have a constant mass.

What are some examples of relativistic particles?

Some examples of relativistic particles include electrons, protons, and other subatomic particles that are accelerated to high speeds in particle accelerators. Cosmic rays from outer space also contain relativistic particles.

What is the significance of relativistic particles in physics?

Relativistic particles play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter at high energies and in extreme environments such as black holes. They also have applications in fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and particle physics.

Can relativistic particles travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any particle or object can travel. Relativistic particles can approach the speed of light, but they can never exceed it.