Massive particles are relativistic particles if their speed....

In summary, Ray Vickson explains that the relativistic effect is taken into account when the kinetic energy of the particle is greater than the energy corresponding to its rest mass. This condition implies that the particle's speed is close to the speed of light. However, what does the comparable mean? Is it that the particle whose speed is more than 0.1c must take the relativistic effect into account? Ray Vickson recommends using a LaTeX equation to calculate the fraction of the speed of light that relativistic effects must be accounted for.
amyy

Homework Statement

Massive particles are relativistic when their kinetic energy is comparable to or greater than the energy
2c73c1b0b9056737f57b079a1d763a2b.png
corresponding to their rest mass. (This condition implies that their speed is close to the speed of light.)
But what does the comparable mean? Is it that the particle whose speed is more than 0.1c must take the relativistic effect into account?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
amyy said:

Homework Statement

Massive particles are relativistic when their kinetic energy is comparable to or greater than the energy
2c73c1b0b9056737f57b079a1d763a2b.png
corresponding to their rest mass. (This condition implies that their speed is close to the speed of light.)
Says who?

But what does the comparable mean? Is it that the particle whose speed is more than 0.1c must take the relativistic effect into account?

Depends on accuracy. If all you want are, say, 1 significant figure, relativistic effects at speeds of 0.1 c won't affect the answer. However, if you want to keep more accuracy, relativistic effects, even at speeds around 0.1 c, can alter the answer. Certainly, if you work with 5 or 6 significant figures the relativistic effects will matter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thank you!

Hi, Ray Vickson, thank you very much for your reply!

amyy said:
p?image=https%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fmath%2F2%2Fc%2F7%2F2c73c1b0b9056737f57b079a1d763a2b.png

This is from the Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativistic_particle

You said it depends on accuracy, could you give me an example please? If the 36Ar18+ is accelerated up to some certain speed, we will consider relativistic momentum when we calculate the magnetic rigidity:##B\rho=p/q=mv\gamma/q.##

HI Amy, Ray is correct. All depends on the error you are willing to consider

It might be relevant to neglect the Rel. effect or not depending on what you are trying to achieve.

For example, you can calculate the fraction of the speed of light for which you have to take into account relativistic effects, given a certain experimental framework.

You can set the threshold of difference you need. Say, I consider 1% as being the threshold above which I will consider relativistic effects for KE. I can calculate
upload_2016-3-24_13-21-39.png
by solving this:

upload_2016-3-24_13-19-53.png

With
upload_2016-3-24_13-20-12.png
and
upload_2016-3-24_13-20-22.png
and
upload_2016-3-24_13-20-30.png

(where m is the rest mass).

The value you find for
upload_2016-3-24_13-22-0.png
, allows you for instance to determine from what speed you need to be considering relativistic effects based on the threshold you chose from the error in your experimental data.

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-24_13-20-53.png
    upload_2016-3-24_13-20-53.png
    233 bytes · Views: 379
  • upload_2016-3-24_13-21-31.png
    upload_2016-3-24_13-21-31.png
    234 bytes · Views: 372
Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Physics-Tutor said:

It might be relevant to neglect the Rel. effect or not depending on what you are trying to achieve.

For example, you can calculate the fraction of the speed of light for which you have to take into account relativistic effects, given a certain experimental framework.

You can set the threshold of difference you need. Say, I consider 1% as being the threshold above which I will consider relativistic effects for KE. I can calculate View attachment 97873 by solving this:

View attachment 97867

With
View attachment 97868 and View attachment 97869 and View attachment 97870

The value you find for View attachment 97874 , allows you for instance to determine from what speed you need to be considering relativistic effects based on the threshold you chose from the error in your experimental data.

Physiscs-Tutor, hello
I see your point, thank you very much for explaining it to me:smile:

Likes Physics-Tutor
Physics-Tutor said:

You can set the threshold of difference you need. Say, I consider 1% as being the threshold above which I will consider relativistic effects for KE. I can calculate View attachment 97873 by solving this:

View attachment 97867

With
View attachment 97868 and View attachment 97869 and View attachment 97870

The value you find for View attachment 97874 , allows you for instance to determine from what speed you need to be considering relativistic effects based on the threshold you chose from the error in your experimental data.
You can use the LaTeX editor, you know. Just thought I'd tell you in case you didn't know, and was getting annoyed with attaching images :smile::smile:

##KE_{rel} =(\gamma-1)mc^2##
Code:
KE_{rel} =(\gamma-1)mc^2

Likes Physics-Tutor
ProfuselyQuarky said:
You can use the LaTeX editor, you know. Just thought I'd tell you in case you didn't know, and was getting annoyed with attaching images :smile::smile:

KErel=(γ−1)mc2KErel=(γ−1)mc2KE_{rel} =(\gamma-1)mc^2

Thank you ProfuselyQuarky, I'll definitely check it out... :-) Could be a less painful than typing the equation in word, capturing pictures and posting them in my posts!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Physics-Tutor said:
Thank you ProfuselyQuarky, I'll definitely check it out... :-) Could be a less painful than typing the equation in word, capturing pictures and posting them in my posts!
Totally! Give it a try! :-p

Related to Massive particles are relativistic particles if their speed....

1. What is the definition of a massive particle?

A massive particle is a particle with non-zero rest mass, meaning it has a mass even when it is not moving.

2. How is speed related to a particle being relativistic?

If a particle's speed approaches the speed of light, it is considered a relativistic particle. This means that at high speeds, the particle's mass and energy behave according to Einstein's theory of relativity.

3. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s). This is considered to be the fastest possible speed in the universe.

4. Can massive particles ever reach the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory, massive particles can never reach the speed of light because their mass would become infinite at that speed.

5. Why is it important to study relativistic particles?

Relativistic particles play a crucial role in many areas of physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and astrophysics. Studying them helps us understand the behavior of matter and energy at high speeds and in extreme environments.