Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of relativistic theories of gravity before Einstein formulated general relativity. It mentions a Newtonian-like scalar gravitational field that exerts a 4-force on any particle with rest mass, 4-velocity, and 4-momentum. The conversation then delves into finding a force law that satisfies the Principle of Relativity, reduces to Newton's law in the non-relativistic limit, and preserves the particle's rest mass as time passes. The participants discuss the linear dependence of force on mass and the need for a four-vector equation. All three conditions are deemed reasonable for such a force law, and the conversation ends with the question of how such a force law could look.
Vrbic

Homework Statement

In Newtonian theory the gravitational potential Φ exerts a force F = dp/dt = −mΦ on a particle with mass m and momentum p. Before Einstein formulated general relativity, some physicists constructed relativistic theories of gravity in which a Newtonian-like scalar gravitational field Φ exerted a 4-force ##\vec{F}## = d##\vec{p}##/dτ on any particle with rest mass m, 4-velocity ##\vec{u}## and 4-momentum ##\vec{p}## = m##\vec{u}##. What must that force law have been, in order to (i) obey the Principle of Relativity, (ii) reduce to Newton’s law in the non-relativistic limit, and (iii) preserve the particle’s rest mass as time passes?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

to (i) I have to use tensors
to (ii) I expect equation of same order
to (iii) I'm not sure how to preserve it

My first guess is something like that: ##\square \Phi=4\pi G T^i_i##. But I see that the limit i.e. I take only ##d^2/dt^2## part and say the other are negligible, the left is ##d^2\Phi/dt^2##.
Can anybody advise?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think (i) is much easier. What does the principle of relativity tell you if you compare two objects of different mass?

mfb said:
I think (i) is much easier. What does the principle of relativity tell you if you compare two objects of different mass?
Sorry for the delay, I missed an alert... In more massive one is more energy. Are you pointing there?

Vrbic said:
In more massive one is more energy.
That is right, but not the interesting point here.

They should have the same acceleration. What does that tell you about the force as function of the object's mass?

mfb said:
That is right, but not the interesting point here.

They should have the same acceleration. What does that tell you about the force as function of the object's mass?
If I want to have same acceleration there is a linear dependence of force on mass. Unfortunately I'm not sure where you are pointing so I hope I'm understanding what you are asking.
(i) Also says that natural laws are same (same form) in all reference frames.

Vrbic said:
If I want to have same acceleration there is a linear dependence of force on mass.
That is what I meant.

mfb said:
That is what I meant.
Ok and how does it help me to find such law? Does it mean that I'm looking for linear law? What item (ii) and (iii)?

It is one piece of a law. (ii) and (iii) give other pieces.

mfb said:
It is one piece of a law. (ii) and (iii) give other pieces.
Ok so what is right and helpful and what not?
(i) I'm looking for linear law
(ii) Equations of same order as for Newton case
(iii) ##\frac{dm}{dt}=0##

Vrbic said:
(ii) Equations of same order as for Newton case
The equation cannot be the same, as you are looking for a four-vector.

All three parts are reasonable conditions for such a force law. The question is then how can a force law look that satisfies all three conditions.

Related to Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law

1. What is the Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law?

The Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the force of gravity between two objects in the context of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction on gravitational force.

2. How does the Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law differ from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

Unlike Newton's Law, the Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law takes into account the effects of special relativity, which predicts that time and space are relative and can be affected by the presence of massive objects. This means that the force of gravity can change depending on the relative motion of the objects.

3. What are the key equations in the Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law?

The key equations in the Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law are the Lorentz transformation and the Minkowski metric, which are used to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction on gravitational force. The equation for the force of gravity is also modified to include the effects of special relativity.

4. How is the Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law tested and confirmed?

The Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law has been tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations. One of the most famous examples is the Pound-Rebka experiment, which measured the gravitational redshift of light as it traveled between two points at different heights in Earth's gravitational field. The results were in accordance with the predictions of the Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law.

5. Can the Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law be applied to extreme cases, such as black holes?

Yes, the Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law can be applied to extreme cases such as black holes. In fact, it is necessary to use this law in order to fully understand the behavior of gravity in these extreme situations. The theory of general relativity, which incorporates the Special Relativistic Gravitational Force Law, has been successful in predicting and explaining the behavior of gravity in the presence of massive objects like black holes.