What is the scariest scientific concept?

In summary, the conversation revolves around various scientific concepts that freak people out, such as the idea of time having no end, the boundaries of the universe, human evolution, and death. Some people find comfort in the idea of an afterlife, while others find it scary to think about their finite existence. The conversation also touches upon the atomic bomb, artificial intelligence, and the inevitability of death. Many participants recall their childhood fears and experiences with mortality, with some finding solace in the words of their grandmothers. Overall, the conversation highlights the fear and fascination surrounding scientific concepts that challenge our understanding of the world and our place in it.
Molydood
Something that always freaks me out is the idea that time has no end, every time I think about it I get properly wierded out.
Recently I started trying to get my head around the start of time, either there being one or not being one, and that's almost as bad.

The qustion is, are there any scientific concepts/topics that freak you out? What about trying to think about the boundaries of the universe? etc

Physics news on Phys.org
Human being descendants of apes?

Not that it freaks ME out, but for sure the idea is a pain for many.

The fact that increasing knowledge only ever increases the number of things we are aware of that we don't know. It freaks me out that there are so many things we know of (like the constants of nature) whose explanations may be eternally beyond our reach.

Infinity, zero, nothingness.

E=mc squared
It doesn't freak me out but I know its scarey for many people.

Borek said:
Human being descendants of apes?

Not that it freaks ME out, but for sure the idea is a pain for many.

What freaks me out is that I'm rapidly evolving in the opposite direction.

That is, you devolve?

The evidence construction of preconceptual science

http://www.junkscience.com/images/nq050606.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
That were all destined to decompose.

That 13.7 billion years of particle physics has boiled down to this thread.

Recently I started trying to get my head around the start of time, either there being one or not being one, and that's almost as bad.
I think there has to be a beginning of time. If time has always existed infinitely in the past, the time would still be going in that infinity before us and we'd never reach this point in time where we exist.

The idea that at some point I will simply cease to be. When I was little I laid in bed one night thinking about what it would be like to die and freaked out. I ran out of my room crying and telling my mom that I didn't want to die. Probably freaked her out. My grandmother then decided to tell me about the afterlife and such mumbo jumbo. Not much of a comfort there.

So pretty much anything that reminds me of my finite existence. Other than that its all just interesting ideas to ponder.

TheStatutoryApe said:
The idea that at some point I will simply cease to be. When I was little I laid in bed one night thinking about what it would be like to die and freaked out. I ran out of my room crying and telling my mom that I didn't want to die. Probably freaked her out. My grandmother then decided to tell me about the afterlife and such mumbo jumbo. Not much of a comfort there.

So pretty much anything that reminds me of my finite existence. Other than that its all just interesting ideas to ponder.

hey, I used to think about this too! It was a pretty scary thought for a kid. Sometimes when my mind wanders for long enough I occasionally remember my finite existence and it would give me the shudders.

Yea, the thought that, one moment you are a thinking, feeling, conscious life-form, and the next... nothing. No after life, no nothin'.

But the scariest scientific idea must be the atomic bomb, I mean, come on...

TheStatutoryApe said:

Wow, I had the exact same experience when I was about five or six. I ran to my grandmother crying that I didn't want to die. It gave me a great deal of comfort when she told me that she was not worried about dieing, and that I shouldn't worry about it either.

Grandmas (Nanas) are awesome.

Pattonias said:
Wow, I had the exact same experience when I was about five or six. I ran to my grandmother crying that I didn't want to die. It gave me a great deal of comfort when she told me that she was not worried about dieing, and that I shouldn't worry about it either.

Grandmas (Nanas) are awesome.
Interesting. I believe I was about that age aswell. I wonder if there are any studies on the age that people begin to be aware of their mortality.

Funny, I can't remember the exact age, but I also had a very similar experience. I must have been around five because of what I remember about my surroundings. What must have seemed to come out of nowhere (I was a quiet child) I one day randomly told my mother that I don't want to die. She looked at me with a strange look on her face and asked why I was thinking of such a thing. I had no clue. All I know is that at the time it was the most weighty, epic thought I ever had, and it scared the hell out of me.

AI taking over the world and grinding people up to feed to other people in the matrix.

Strange, I don't remember being afraid that I was going to die. Maybe I never thought about it; maybe I got used to the idea that everything has to die and had no reason to think I was exceptional. Still, I do think death is a scary concept: death of Earth, of the Sun, of the universe, etc. make me wonder why time is such a killer.

Hmmm, I remember thinking about dying and found the idea that you would just blink out of existence, be nothing, no thoughts, no memories, just nothing, to be comforting.

I still get an uncomfortable feeling, when I think about death. I'm atheist, so I believe this is it...period. I have to live the best life I can, because I only get this one shot.

Tick, tick, tick...time is passing. Wow.

For those who were brought up Roman Catholic or similar, you may recognize the gut-sinking feeling when you realize that you might have been lied to all the time, and that your existence is not pre-ordained nor controlled by your belief system. Shortly after, you should be able to extend such feelings to ALL belief systems. Not a great thing to confront when you are 12 or so, with no support system.

I remember getting scared about dying around 6-10. I would get even more scared about losing my parents.

Now, I don't care about dying as far I keep on pursuing my dreams until the very end which are obviously more important now than the life/(health :shy:). But then, I don't have any belongings or close relationships.

I don't ever recall being afraid of death. As far back as I can remember I've always been ok with dying and that was it no more life to me.

Any scientific concept that's used to devlop ways of hurting humans I'm scared of... Science is a really powerful tool and the methods it develops to cause injury/death will be the best possible (which IMO is extremely bad).

I think most people are not scared of being dead, they are scared of dying. Especially with all miracles of the medicine, allowing to make this process as long as you wish.

I was less than 10 then, and on this particular day school didn't start at 8 a.m. (my English fails me - no idea how to word it properly, my first lesson on that day was on third or fourth lesson? Period?) My dad was also at home, working at the university had its perks. I remember I jumped into my parents bed (now it would be inappropriate, incorrect, whatever) and we had a long talk. No idea why we drifted to dying, but he told me we will all die eventually - and I started to cry. I was so devastated I had to pass school on that day.

Dying and of course the inescapable heat death.

The most fascinating concept for me has been that there will one day be only a single human being left in this world. I've always dreamt about a post-apocalyptic world and wondered what it would be like to wander through cities that don't have a soul in them (something like the movies 28 days later, or I am legend). It's one of the reasons why I could enjoy living in Detroit, while other people would probably only feel misery.

Monique said:
The most fascinating concept for me has been that there will one day be only a single human being left in this world. I've always dreamt about a post-apocalyptic world and wondered what it would be like to wander through cities that don't have a soul in them (something like the movies 28 days later, or I am legend). It's one of the reasons why I could enjoy living in Detroit, while other people would probably only feel misery.

I've always wondered about this too lol. It actually seems to be pretty interesting as long as it's not from some sort of radiation that will make me sick :P.

There's a game called Fallout 3 for PS3, you should play it. :smile:

Monique said:

There is only one left, we are all holograms, did nobody tell you?

:-)

The scariest concept for me is the idea that sooner or later the human race will cease to exist, I don't really mind that the scientific progress that we've made will go, other species will be able to repeat them, but the idea that all art that humans have ever made will disappear makes me very sad. One day Handel's Messiah will have gone forever think about it for a minute and then pour yourself a large drink to get over the moment.

I never bothered worrying about death. It's inevitable. I don't really get sad over death, or the passing of loved ones either. I learned to celebrate life, not mourn death. It's going to happen no matter what, whenever possible, so why worry about it? Rather, celebrate the life that was lived. That's not to say you can't shed tears over the loss of a loved one, but then I don't believe that when we die that's it. I believe in an "afterlife" for lack of a better word, but not in the sense that most other people think of it.

Anyways, to the OP:

The human potential, because I believe that we don't know when to stop, and by the time we do, it's too late.

Final exams.

That the entire universe could very likely be a hologram. Oh, and the dyin' thing too.

B. Elliott said:
Funny, I can't remember the exact age, but I also had a very similar experience. I must have been around five because of what I remember about my surroundings. What must have seemed to come out of nowhere (I was a quiet child) I one day randomly told my mother that I don't want to die. She looked at me with a strange look on her face and asked why I was thinking of such a thing. I had no clue. All I know is that at the time it was the most weighty, epic thought I ever had, and it scared the hell out of me.

For me it was a bit more of a rude awakening. I was young, probably 5 but I'm not sure. My parents were watching a WWII film, and it was focusing on the Nazi invasion of some place at one point. I happened to start watching it (my parents may not have noticed or didn't think I knew what was going on), and before long there was a scene where a Nazi kills one woman holding her child. You hear the shot, the mother falling, and the baby screaming. A few moments later, you hear another shot and then completely silence. Not only was that the first time I comprehended death, it was the first time I ever felt rage and a desire to kill someone else. The way I acted after that happened worried my mother that the scene permanently damaged me... she was probably right.

As to the topic of this thread... that no where I have ever seen does science allow for free will. Either things are predetermined, or they are chaotic. Either way, no free will, only an illusion of it at best.

lawtonfogle said:
For me it was a bit more of a rude awakening. I was young, probably 5 but I'm not sure. My parents were watching a WWII film, and it was focusing on the Nazi invasion of some place at one point. I happened to start watching it (my parents may not have noticed or didn't think I knew what was going on), and before long there was a scene where a Nazi kills one woman holding her child. You hear the shot, the mother falling, and the baby screaming. A few moments later, you hear another shot and then completely silence. Not only was that the first time I comprehended death, it was the first time I ever felt rage and a desire to kill someone else. The way I acted after that happened worried my mother that the scene permanently damaged me... she was probably right.

As to the topic of this thread... that no where I have ever seen does science allow for free will. Either things are predetermined, or they are chaotic. Either way, no free will, only an illusion of it at best.

Sciences on a grand scale are pretty determinate... i.e. if you throw a ball we know where it will go and how fast along every point it is travelling. On a microscale it's not like that at all... to my knowledge at least. I think sciences of the brain/mind will have to be done on the microscale and I don't think we've even started climbing up that mountain just yet... (maybe we're at altitude 2m on a 5000 m mountain lol :D )