What is the sample space for randomly placing 8 pieces on an 8x8 checkerboard?

In summary, the question is asking for the probability of randomly placing 8 playing pieces on an 8x8 checkerboard, with each row having only one piece. The conversation discusses different attempts at finding the sample space for a 2x2 and 3x3 board, but there is still uncertainty about the exact sample space. The question remains unresolved and open for further discussion.
playboy
The question asks:

Suppose that we randomly place 8 playing spieces on an 8 x 8 checkerboard.
What is the probability that each row of the checkerboard will have only one piece?

I've been trying forever to get this question going. My problem is that I cannot figure out the magnitude of the sample space. Can somebody please help me out with this?

I tried to find the sample space for a 2x2 and 3x3 board.

For a 2x2 board i got |S| = 6
For a 3x3 board i got |S| = 24
For a 4x4 board...it got really messy...

Can somebody give me a boost please!? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
well if there's 8x8 then the sample space is 8^2

unless i did it wrong, for a 2x2 board 2^2 = 4 and not 6
and for a 3x3 board, 3^2 = 9 and not 24

well if you think about it...

1 x x x
2 x x x
3 x x x
1 2 3

This is how i interpret it:

. . .
x x x
x x x

x x x
. . .
x x x

x x x
x x x
. . .

. x x
x . .
x x x

. x x
x x x
x . .

x . .
. x x
x x x

x x x
. x x
. . x

etc. etc..

Which is more than 3^2 = 9

What do you say?

i say I am not sure :P the sample space is still just the arena of outcomes, but your listing all the different outcomes from one sample space. its like the dice example, you have a 6x6 sample space but you can choose any number of combinations, but the sample space is still 6x6

So can somebody please confirm what the sample space is?

Related to What is the sample space for randomly placing 8 pieces on an 8x8 checkerboard?

1. What is a sample space in probability?

A sample space in probability is the set of all possible outcomes of a random experiment. It is denoted by the symbol Ω and can be represented using a tree diagram, a table, or a list.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the number of total outcomes. It is represented as a decimal, fraction, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual results from conducting an experiment and can vary from the theoretical probability.

4. What is the Law of Large Numbers in probability?

The Law of Large Numbers states that as the number of trials in an experiment increases, the experimental probability will approach the theoretical probability.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in real life to make predictions and decisions based on uncertain events. It is used in fields such as finance, insurance, and gambling to assess risk and make informed choices.