Help with Probability & Sample Space Questions

In summary, the conversation is about two questions, one involving probability and the other involving a standard deck of cards. The first question asks for the probability of a specific event and the second question asks for the correct description of a given event. The expert is having difficulty with understanding the notation used in the second question, specifically the "f'" part. They apologize for the confusion and thank the expert for their help.
normaldistribut
I have been having a time trying to get the answers for these two questions. Can anyone please help me?

1)
Suppose a fair die is tossed and the number showing on the top face is recorded. Let E, F, and G be the following events: E: {1,2,3,5}, F:{2,4}, G:{1,4,6} Compute the probability of the following event: E' U G'

2)
A box contains 12 items, four of which are defective. An item is chosen at random and not replaced. This is continued until all four defective items have been selected. The total number of items selected is recorded. Describe the associated sample space.
A.{1, 2, 3, 4}
B.{5, 7, 9, 11}
C.{3, 6, 9, 12}
D.{4, 5, 6, 7 ,8, 9, 10, 11, 12}

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, normaldistribut!

1) A fair die is tossed.
Let [tex]E, F, G[/tex] be the following events:
.[tex]E\!:\,\{1,2,3,5\}\quad F\!:\,\{2,4\} \quad G\!:\,\{1,4,6\}[/tex]
Compute the probability of: [tex]E' \cup G'[/tex]

[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}E' &=& \{4,6\} \\ G' &=& \{2,3,5\}\end{Bmatrix} \quad\Rightarrow\quad E' \cup G' \;=\;\{2,3,4,5,6\}[/tex]

Therefore: .[tex]P(E' \cup G') \;=\;\frac{5}{6}[/tex]
2) A box contains 12 items, four of which are defective.
An item is chosen at random and not replaced.
This is continued until all four defective items have been selected.
The total number of items selected is recorded.
Describe the associated sample space.

[tex]A.\;\{1, 2, 3, 4\} \quad B.\;\{5, 7, 9, 11\} \quad C.\;\{3, 6, 9, 12\}[/tex]
. . . . . . . . [tex]D.\;\{4, 5, 6, 7 ,8, 9, 10, 11, 12\}[/tex]

Exactly where is your difficulty?
Do you understand the problem?

Can you see that the answer is [tex]D[/tex]?

I am so sorry, the second one wasn't the problem I was having the issues with because I had already answered that and got it right. My question was supposed to be,

A card is selected at random from a standard deck. Let E, F, and G be the following events.
E: The card is black.
F: The card is a diamond.
G: The card is an ace.
Choose the answer that correctly describes E U f' U G
A.The card is black or a diamond or not an ace.
B.The card is black or not a diamond or an ace.
C.The card is black and not a diamond.
D.The card is not a diamond or an ace.

It goes back to the first problem where I am having the trouble with understanding the f' part or any part where there is a top line which throws me off. My apologies.
Thank you so much for your help! :cool:

Related to Help with Probability & Sample Space Questions

What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 indicating impossibility and 1 indicating certainty.

How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical method of calculating probability.

What is a sample space?

A sample space is the set of all possible outcomes of an experiment. It is often represented by a list, table, or tree diagram.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected from experiments or observations.

How can probability be used in real life?

Probability is used in many different fields, such as finance, insurance, and sports, to make predictions and informed decisions. For example, it can be used to calculate the likelihood of a stock market crash or the chances of winning a sports game.