What is the Purpose and Connection of Discoveries in the Universe?

• Thread starter g48dd
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of discoveries in the universe is to increase our understanding and knowledge of the vast and complex world beyond our own planet. These discoveries also help us to unravel the mysteries of the universe and its origins, as well as provide insight into the possibilities of life beyond Earth. Additionally, the continuous exploration and discoveries in the universe have led to advancements in technology and scientific understanding, benefiting humanity in various ways. Through these discoveries, we also discover the interconnectedness of all things in the universe, highlighting the importance of collaboration and cooperation in our pursuit of knowledge.
g48dd
I am retired and since I am retired I can read about all things I never had time for. I have been watching a lot of PBS on Space Time and Brian Greene. Got into that because I wanted to understand the speed of light, which took to the videos on Frames of Reference by Patterson Hume & Donald Ivey University of Toronto, 1960 and then into E=Mc2 and that began my journey which has been great. I don't have enough education to understand the math, but if I watch enough I can understand the concepts. I am just trying to grasp general concepts of how the Universe around me works. Thank You for having me.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

I caution you about "learning" science from such presentations. Sadly, most of what you see on TV is entertainment, not education, and even reputable physicists are known to make ridiculous statements on such shows. They DO get a lot of stuff right and the graphics and images are always impressive but they get a lot wrong and the problem is that you can't tell which is which without already knowing the underlying science.

We spend a lot of time here dispelling misconceptions created by Brian Green and others on such shows.

Likes anorlunda
Thank you, it does not surprise me. I think I mostly am amazed how it seems that nothing in the universe is wasted. That everything we discover seems to serves a purpose. I think I am trying to understand how things are connected and what purpose it serves but not so much HOW it works because I don't have the mathematical background for that. The images are very cool, I think one of the most amazing things to me is how a scientist takes basic data and develops that into an image of what something might look like. Thank again.