What is the power required for the belt to maintain its velocity

In summary: In fact, only half of the work goes into increasing the KE of the corn, and the other half goes into increasing the KE of the belt. Therefore, the power required for the belt to maintain its velocity is twice the work done on the corn, or 25W. In summary, the corn falling vertically on a conveyor belt at a constant rate of 1 kg/s gains a forward speed of 5m/s. The power required for the belt to maintain this velocity is 25W, as 50% of the work done by the belt goes into increasing the KE of the corn and the other 50% goes into increasing the KE of the belt.
Rasmus10

Homework Statement

Corn is falling vertically down on a conveyor belt at a constant rate of 1 kg/s. The corn instantanoulsy gets the forward speed of the belt of v = 5m/s. What is the power required for the belt to maintain its velocity.

Homework Equations

p=mv
dp/dt=F
F*v=P
Ekin=1/2*m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, i thought that the simple way to solve this was to say that the belt needs to apply kinetic energy to the corns. How much? 1/2*1kg*(5m/s)^2, and that every second so the effect would be 25/2 W = 12.5W.

However, that is not the correct answer according to my lecturers soloutions. He says it is 25. Well, i can think of; from a momentum kind of view. dp/dt=v*dm/dt=F
F*v=P so 5m/s*1kg/s*5m/s = 25W. What am i missing here?

Another approach. Correct me if I am wrong, but the energy needed to accelerate an object from f.x. velocity 0m/s to 5m/s is independant of the actual acceleration (even though its a non conservative force friction that is doing the acceleration?). To say, it deosn't matter if a large force is acting in a short time or a weak force in a long time? So
Faverage*Δt=Δp. From kinematics constant acceleration: x-x0=(v+v0)/2*t <=> if x0 and v0 is 0: x=v/2*t. Ok, so we multiply by this in the first equation to get the work: Fav*Δt*v/2=Δp. So if the acceleration time of the corn was 1 second, then i get the same result as i would get with energy considerations = 12.5W. Is this totally wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Rasmus10 said:
However, that is not the correct answer according to my lecturers soloutions. He says it is 25. Well, i can think of; from a momentum kind of view. dp/dt=v*dm/dt=F
F*v=P so 5m/s*1kg/s*5m/s = 25W. What am i missing here?
You are missing the fact that not all of the work done by the belt goes into increasing the translational KE of the corn. (The corn makes an inelastic collision with the moving belt.)

Related to What is the power required for the belt to maintain its velocity

1. What is the definition of power in terms of physics?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is represented by the equation P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time.

2. How is power related to velocity?

Power is directly proportional to velocity. This means that as velocity increases, power also increases. This relationship can be represented by the equation P = Fv, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity.

3. What is the relationship between power and the maintenance of velocity?

In order for an object to maintain its velocity, an external force must be applied to counteract any opposing forces. The amount of power required to maintain this velocity will depend on the mass and speed of the object, as well as any frictional forces present.

4. How can the power required for a belt to maintain its velocity be calculated?

The power required for a belt to maintain its velocity can be calculated by multiplying the velocity of the belt by the force required to overcome any frictional forces. This can be represented by the equation P = Fv, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity.

5. What factors can affect the power required for a belt to maintain its velocity?

The power required for a belt to maintain its velocity can be affected by factors such as the mass and speed of the belt, the tension in the belt, and any opposing forces such as friction. Additionally, the type of material and design of the belt can also impact the power required.