Power needed to keep conveyor belt running

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power and work in a system of sand particles falling on a conveyor belt. The power required to keep the system moving at a constant speed is found to be half of the change in kinetic energy per unit time, which is equal to 36.75 watts. The role of friction in this process is also discussed, with half of the total power being used to overcome friction and the other half going into kinetic energy. The concept of internal forces and heat loss is also mentioned.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-4_14-37-22.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking change in the kinetic energy per unit time as power,

P = ## \frac {d W}{dt} = \frac {d K}{dt} = \frac 1 2 \frac { dm} {dt} v^2 = 36.75 ## watt...(1)

## P = \vec F \cdot \vec v = \frac{ dm} {dt} \vec v \cdot \vec v = \frac { dm} {dt} v^2 = 73.5 ## watt...(2)

## dK = \vec F \cdot d \vec r = v^2 dm ## ...(3)

change in the kinetic energy per unit time = ## \frac 1 2 (m + 1.5) v^2 - \frac 1 2 m v^2 = 1.5 ~ \frac 1 2 v^2 ## ...(4)

I am getting two different answers.
[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-3_14-39-16.png
    upload_2018-1-3_14-39-16.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 388
  • upload_2018-1-4_14-37-22.png
    upload_2018-1-4_14-37-22.png
    10 KB · Views: 1,063
Physics news on Phys.org
Every sand particle doesn't start moving as soon as it falls...but over a short interval it has to overcome friction and attain the velocity...out of 73.5 watt 36.75 goes into kinetic energy and remaining half goes into work against friction

Likes Pushoam and haruspex
Let's say that the system is the sand particles upon the conveyor belt and the conveyor belt .

At time t, the mass of the system is m(t).

Now, the kinetic energy of the system at time t is ## \frac 1 2 m(t) v^2 ##.

the kinetic energy of the system at time t + ## dt ## is ## \frac 1 2 (m(t) + dm)v^2 ##.

Now, the change in the kinetic energy of the system per unit time is ## \frac 1 2 \frac { dm} {dt} v^2 ##. I am supposed to provide this much energy to the system per unit time. So, the required power is ## \frac 1 2 \frac { dm} {dt} v^2 ## = 36.75 W.

Now, the friction force is an internal force. Why should this be considered?

Last edited:
Frictional force is internal...but there is always heat loss associated with it...you can't ignore thatMomentum change of the system due to friction will be zero owing to its internal nature but heat loss would have to be considered

Likes Pushoam
What is happening is : when the sand particle falls on the conveyor belt, friction force works upon it till its speed becomes equal to the speed of conveyor belt. Work done by the friction force upon the particle is ## \frac 1 2 1.5 v^2 ## .

Now, work done by the friction force upon the system at time t i.e. m(t) per unit second is equal and opposite to that upon the sand particle per unit second. How to show it?

The sand particle contacts n points of the system at time t i.e. m(t) of length dr such that n dr = l the distance traveled by the particle before its speed becomes equal to v. I assume that this process takes 1s time.

The friction force acts upon each of the n points of the system at time t i.e. m(t) till each point move a distance dr in the opposite direction of the friction force.

Thus, the work done by the friction force upon the system at time t i.e. m(t) per unit second is ## W_{cb} = f_{r_{cb}} n dr = - f_{r_{sp}} l = - \frac 1 2 1.5 v^2 ## , where ## f_{r_{cb} }##is the friction force acting upon the system at time t i.e. m(t) and ##f_{r_{sp}}## is the friction force acting upon the sand particle.

Now, (work done by me on the system at time t i.e. m(t) to keep it moving with speed v + work done by friction force on the system at time t i.e. m(t) ) per unit second = ( change in the kinetic energy of the system at time t i.e. m(t) per unit time=0).

change in the kinetic energy of the system at time t i.e. m(t) per unit time=0 as the speed of the system at time t i.e. m(t) remains same.

Required power = (work done by me on the system at time t i.e. m(t) to keep it moving with speed v) per unit second

= - ( work done by friction force on the system at time t i.e. m(t) ) per unit second = ## \frac 1 2 \frac { dm} {dt} v^2 = 36.75 ## watt.

Last edited:
Altair Tans said:
Momentum change of the system due to friction will be zero owing to its internal nature but heat loss would have to be considered
Altair Tans said:
Every sand particle doesn't start moving as soon as it falls...but over a short interval it has to overcome friction and attain the velocity...out of 73.5 watt 36.75 goes into kinetic energy and remaining half goes into work against friction
I want to arrive at what you are saying, mathematically, but getting stuck.

Pushoam said:
I want to arrive at what you are saying, mathematically, but getting stuck.
Rather than chasing after an energy balance, try chasing the momentum balance. As has been pointed out, the problem with mechanical energy is that it is not conserved -- it can drain into frictional losses.

So... at what rate does momentum have to be delivered to the stream of sand?

Edit: Silly me, you've been down this road in the OP

Last edited:
Pushoam said:

## P = \vec F \cdot \vec v = \frac{ dm} {dt} \vec v \cdot \vec v = \frac { dm} {dt} v^2 = 73.5 ## watt...(2)

I see you replace F with dm/dt * v

The velocity isn't constant, it goes from 0 to v so the average is 0.5v. This looks to be where the factor of 2 error is coming in.

1. How is power needed to keep a conveyor belt running calculated?

The power needed to keep a conveyor belt running is calculated by multiplying the belt speed by the weight of the product being transported. This calculation takes into account the distance the belt needs to travel and the amount of friction on the surface of the belt.

2. What factors affect the power needed to keep a conveyor belt running?

The power needed to keep a conveyor belt running can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the weight and type of product being transported, the speed of the belt, the length and incline of the conveyor, and the amount of friction between the belt and the surface it is running on.

3. How can the power needed to keep a conveyor belt running be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the power needed to keep a conveyor belt running. One way is to use a more efficient motor that requires less energy. Another way is to reduce the weight of the product being transported, which will decrease the overall load on the belt. Additionally, improving the surface of the belt and the surface it runs on can also reduce friction and therefore reduce the power needed.

4. How does the power needed to keep a conveyor belt running affect overall energy consumption?

The power needed to keep a conveyor belt running can have a significant impact on overall energy consumption. A conveyor system that requires a large amount of power to run will result in higher energy costs. By reducing the power needed to run the conveyor, energy consumption can be reduced and cost savings can be achieved.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the power needed to keep a conveyor belt running?

Yes, there are potential safety concerns related to the power needed to keep a conveyor belt running. If the power requirements are too high for the motor or the belt, it can lead to overheating and potential breakdowns or hazards. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain the power requirements to ensure the safe operation of the conveyor system.