What is the period of oscillation in this graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses the period of oscillation shown in a given graph. The participants mention that the period is the time it takes to travel from one point on the graph to the same point again in the same direction. They suggest that the period may be around 2.5 seconds, but the online submission gives incorrect answers. The conversation ends with a suggestion to take an average over the whole wave as the period appears to be less than 2 seconds.
mikefitz
What is the period of oscillation in the screenshot?

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/5296/image12yt4.gif

Period is just the time it takes to travel from one point on the graph to the exact same point again in the same direction. Looking at the graph I would guess somewhere around 2.5 seconds, but every answer I enter in the online submission says incorrect. This should be so simple but I can't figure out why all my answers are wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
maybe you didn't read the divisions right... or try to look at the time of something like TEN waves, and divide that by ten... I'm guessing that your answer might have too much error to be considered correct.

Take an average over the whole wave. It's pretty clear the period is less than 2 seconds.

Related to What is the period of oscillation in this graph?

1. What is the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation is the time it takes for one complete cycle of a periodic motion. It is typically measured in seconds.

2. How is the period of oscillation calculated?

The period of oscillation can be calculated using the formula T = 1/f, where T is the period in seconds and f is the frequency of the oscillation in hertz (cycles per second).

3. What factors affect the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation is affected by the length of the pendulum or spring, the mass of the object, and the strength of the restoring force. In general, a longer length, larger mass, or stronger force will result in a longer period.

4. How is the period of oscillation related to the amplitude?

The period of oscillation is not affected by the amplitude of the motion. This means that the period will remain the same regardless of how far the object moves during each cycle.

5. What are some real-life examples of objects with a period of oscillation?

Some examples of objects with a period of oscillation include a pendulum, a spring, a swinging door, a rocking horse, and a bouncing ball. These objects exhibit periodic motion and their period of oscillation can be observed and measured.