Period of Oscillation for mass on a spring.

In summary, the conversation is about verifying the correctness of solving a problem involving a mass hanging on a spring in simple harmonic motion. The person believes they have solved the problem correctly and obtained a period of 0.9634s using the equation T=2π√ (m/k). This answer is confirmed by the other person in the conversation.
dragon-kazooie
Hi! I would just like someone to verify that I am doing this correctly (and point out what I am doing wrong if I am not). A friend is getting T = 0.148s but I don't have her calculations, but I think I am solving the problem correctly and getting 0.9634s.

1. Homework Statement

A 0.87 kg mass is hung on a spring. When released, it goes into simple harmonic motion. If the spring constant is 37 n/m, what is the period of the oscillation?

Homework Equations

T=2π√ (m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

T=2π √ (0.87/37)
T=2π × 0.15334
T = 0.9634sThank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer as you.

kuruman said:
I get the same answer as you.
Thank you!

Related to Period of Oscillation for mass on a spring.

1. What is the period of oscillation for a mass on a spring?

The period of oscillation for a mass on a spring refers to the time it takes for the mass to complete one full cycle of oscillation, or one back-and-forth motion. It is typically denoted by the symbol T and is measured in seconds.

2. How is the period of oscillation calculated?

The period of oscillation for a mass on a spring can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the object and k is the spring constant of the spring. This equation is derived from Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium.

3. What factors affect the period of oscillation for a mass on a spring?

The period of oscillation for a mass on a spring is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the spring, and the amplitude (maximum displacement) of the oscillation. Additionally, external factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the period.

4. How does the period of oscillation change when the mass or spring constant is altered?

If the mass of the object is increased, the period of oscillation will also increase. This is because a larger mass will require a larger force to move it back and forth. Similarly, if the spring constant is increased, the period of oscillation will decrease as the spring will exert a stronger force on the object.

5. Can the period of oscillation be affected by the angle of the spring?

No, the period of oscillation for a mass on a spring is not affected by the angle of the spring. As long as the amplitude and other factors remain constant, the period will remain the same regardless of the angle of the spring.