Standing Wave Period for Third Harmonic Oscillation

In summary, the length of the rope, the speed of the waves on the rope, and the mass of the rope are (a) 0.1666666...s, (b) 36, and (c) 4. The wavelength is changed to be in a third harmonic pattern and the period is 1/9 seconds.
i_hate_math

Homework Statement

A rope, under a tension of 209 N and fixed at both ends, oscillates in a second-harmonic standing wave pattern. The displacement of the rope is given by
y=0.49sin(πx/3)sin(12πt)
What are (a) the length of the rope, (b) the speed of the waves on the rope, and (c)the mass of the rope? (d) If the rope oscillates in a third-harmonic standing wave pattern, what will be the period of oscillation?

Homework Equations

T=2π/w

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved part a,b,c but I got part d wrong. I simply used T=2π/w
==> T=2π/(12π)=0.1666666...=0.167s
And this is not the correct answer.
Please point out where I did wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
i_hate_math said:

Homework Statement

A rope, under a tension of 209 N and fixed at both ends, oscillates in a second-harmonic standing wave pattern. The displacement of the rope is given by
y=0.49sin(πx/3)sin(12πt)
What are (a) the length of the rope, (b) the speed of the waves on the rope, and (c)the mass of the rope? (d) If the rope oscillates in a third-harmonic standing wave pattern, what will be the period of oscillation?

Homework Equations

T=2π/w

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved part a,b,c but I got part d wrong. I simply used T=2π/w
==> T=2π/(12π)=0.1666666...=0.167s
And this is not the correct answer.
Please point out where I did wrong
The given 12π is for the second harmonic. Part d asks about the third harmonic.

haruspex said:
The given 12π is for the second harmonic. Part d asks about the third harmonic.
I see, but is it okay to assume that the length of the rope remains the same?

i_hate_math said:
I see, but is it okay to assume that the length of the rope remains the same?
Yes.

Likes i_hate_math
haruspex said:
Yes.
With the same L, I got speed v=sqrt(T•L/m) where T is tension, so v remains the same too. the wavelength is changed since its now in third harmonic pattern, L=6=(3/2)λ.
==> λ=4
==> λ•f=v and from part b, v=36 is the correct answer
==> v=1/9=0.111...

i_hate_math said:
With the same L, I got speed v=sqrt(T•L/m) where T is tension, so v remains the same too. the wavelength is changed since its now in third harmonic pattern, L=6=(3/2)λ.
==> λ=4
==> λ•f=v and from part b, v=36 is the correct answer
==> v=1/9=0.111...
Did you mean T=0.111?

haruspex said:
Did you mean T=0.111?
Yes. Sorry about the typo

i_hate_math said:
Yes. Sorry about the typo
Looks right.

Likes i_hate_math
haruspex said:
Looks right.
I checked with the answers, it is!

Related to Standing Wave Period for Third Harmonic Oscillation

What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of nodes (points of zero displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement) that do not move.

What is an easy standing wave question?

An easy standing wave question is a question that involves the basic concepts of standing waves, such as nodes, antinodes, wavelength, and frequency. These questions may involve simple calculations or identifying the characteristics of a standing wave.

How do you calculate the wavelength of a standing wave?

The wavelength of a standing wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency. This can be represented by the equation λ = v/f, where λ is the wavelength, v is the speed of the wave, and f is the frequency.

What is the difference between a standing wave and a traveling wave?

The main difference between a standing wave and a traveling wave is that a standing wave does not move, while a traveling wave does. In a standing wave, the energy of the wave remains in one place, while in a traveling wave, the energy is constantly moving forward.

How do standing waves relate to musical instruments?

Standing waves play a crucial role in musical instruments, as they are responsible for producing the different pitches and tones. The length of the instrument's string or air column determines the wavelength of the standing wave, and by changing the length, the frequency and pitch can be altered.