What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #2,591
Good deal for White Noise find in You Tube. As much as I enjoy music, there seems to be no way of getting away from it in most public places, at least in the ones I tend to hang out . I like hamburgers too, but not for breakfast lunch and dinner every #$% day.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,592
Why does everywhere (hyperbole warning) insist on background music? Is there some philosophy behind it, or is it just a kind of "music sounds so civilised you know" not really thinking about it?

• #2,593
fresh_42 said:
Always look on the bright side of life - I could have been from Palermo! :cool:
fresh_42 said:
Always look on the bright side of life - I could have been from Palermo! :cool:
Is that near Kentucky?
Ibix said:
Why does everywhere (hyperbole warning) insist on background music? Is there some philosophy behind it, or is it just a kind of "music sounds so civilised you know" not really thinking about it?
Beats me. I remember a documentary on some authors trying to produce an audio on sounds of nature on how they could not go far-enough to get away from the sounds of "civilization". No matter how far they went into the wild ( I think this was in Brazil) , there was always some type or another of sound present near them. EDIT Actually, I I think re your observation, there is this implicit idea that most people prefer to veg out when together, rather than holding a conversation; that people need to, want to, get away from themselves , using music as a distraction. Kind of a nasty view of things if you ask me.

• #2,594
Haha, they had this weird confusion with this place called " Taller Latino" , which translates roughly to " Latino Workshop". Some mis understood and read it as wanting Latinos of greater height and were complaining about height discrimination.

• #2,595
I was about to comment to my friend that they were playing the song " It's the end of the world" (REM) while I was watching Trump's feud with Kim on TV ( on Friday the 13th *) -- while noting that 13 <-->31 , and October 31 is HAlloween . But I remembered his tendency/disposition towards conspiracy theories, so I kept a lid on it.

* I heard in some countries they use Tuesday the 13th as the "special" date.

• #2,596
Is a person, who doesn't eat meat, but mushrooms, which are neither meat nor plants, still a vegetarian?

• #2,597
Just passed 3:30:00 on white noise video from a Boeing plane. Kind of an hypnotic effect. Fun to see what Google's recommender system will make of it .Hope it does not run into any turbulence further down the line. It is an 11-hr flight...

• #2,598
fresh_42 said:
Is a person, who doesn't eat meat, but mushrooms, which are neither meat nor plants, still a vegetarian?

That should be a fungarian, or maybe a mycolarian. :smile:

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,599
BillTre said:
That should be a fungarian, or maybe a mycolarian. :smile:

EDIT: Most Fungarians are from Fudapest . ( Beat that one, Fresh). Just like Most Prussians are from PMoscow -- including, of course, Michelle PFeiffer .

• #2,600
WWGD said:
EDIT: Most Fungarians are from Fudapest . ( Beat that one, Fresh). Just like Most Prussians are from PMoscow -- including, of course, Michelle PFeiffer .
Not a chance. This one is clearly yours. But I have to mention, that those names are generally very misleading. I've been to PMoscow but neither saw any Moss nor a cow there. And apropos Fudapest: Hungerians rarely starve. All fraud. I don't dare to think about the Virgin Islands, which 45 reportedly spoke of today as he said he talked to their president. All fake.

But thanks for reminding me on Moscow, there's still this email I'll have to answer :sorry:

• #2,601
fresh_42 said:
Not a chance. This one is clearly yours. But I have to mention, that those names are generally very misleading. I've been to PMoscow but neither saw any Moss nor a cow there. And apropos Fudapest: Hungerians rarely starve. All fraud. I don't dare to think about the Virgin Islands, which 45 reportedly spoke of today as he said he talked to their president. All fake.

But thanks for reminding me on Moscow, there's still this email I'll have to answer :sorry:
PMoscow is Moscow after 12:00 .

• #2,602
I cannot understand the claim that more man than women cheat , in the sense of having sex with someone who is married. Given the assumption most people are not gay, it would seem for every men/woman who cheats s/he cheats with a man/woman.

• #2,603
WWGD said:
PMoscow is Moscow after 12:00 .
I have no active memory about the time after midnight. There is only a very unflattering photo which must have been me.

• #2,604
fresh_42 said:
I have no active memory about the time after midnight. There is only a very unflattering photo which must have been me.
We'll keep that a secret.

• #2,605
WWGD said:
I cannot understand the claim that more man than women cheat , in the sense of having sex with someone who is married. Given the assumption most people are not gay, it would seem for every men/woman who cheats s/he cheats with a man/woman.
Here is a thread about it.

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #2,606
fresh_42 said:
Here is a thread about it.
Can't belioeve I missed it. Maybe something was covering my view.

• #2,607
"Advertise here". I don't think here needs advertising, where else can one be?

• #2,608
WWGD said:
"Advertise here". I don't think here needs advertising, where else can one be?
I couldn't believe it, but there is actually no rule about advertisements. Maybe the 239th.

• #2,609
fresh_42 said:
I couldn't believe it, but there is actually no rule about advertisements. Maybe the 239th.
What's with the gaps? Maybe they mean something different by gaps in the Natural numbers?

• #2,610
WWGD said:
What's with the gaps? Maybe they mean something different by gaps in the Natural numbers?
They haven't been reported, yet. I'll ask the Grand Nagus for a complete version, next time I'll see him.

• #2,611
fresh_42 said:
They haven't been reported, yet. I'll ask the Grand Nagus for a complete version, next time I'll see him.
I think Mfb won't like you calling him by that name ;).

Likes fresh_42
  • #2,612
Why do physicists don't get tired to praise Newton for the calculus of differentiation, only to use Leibniz' notation whenever possible?

Likes dkotschessaa
  • #2,613
fresh_42 said:
Why do physicists don't get tired to praise Newton for the calculus of differentiation, only to use Leibniz' notation whenever possible?
Ah, that old dispute, the 330-year-old grudge. Why not say it was Newbniz or Leiton, who discovered/created Differential Calculus and call it a tie?

Last edited:
Likes Bystander
  • #2,614
Girl gamerz rule

• #2,615
fresh_42 said:

Same reason the 'dog' section is bigger than the 'cat' section in the supermarket. I don't remember where I was going with this line of reasoning now.

• #2,616
fresh_42 said:
But I agree that neither the whole 'fluxions' thing is not very practical, nor the "ghosts of departed quanties"-type layout are very practical.

• #2,617
WWGD said:
But I agree that neither the whole 'fluxions' thing is not very practical, nor the "ghosts of departed quanties"-type layout are very practical.
You should take a glimpse into our Quantum Physics forum. There is a whole lot of fluxions and ghosts. O.k. they try to hide it behind local variables, Bell, Copenhagen and similar distractions, but their camouflage is lousy. :cool: <... run, duck and cover ... (any tips for a good covering, mine are all only double covers?)>

But another question: What is it with the Americans and Zombies? Compared to the amount of B- and C-class movies, series and variations, I cannot but ask myself: why?

• #2,618
fresh_42 said:
You should take a glimpse into our Quantum Physics forum. There is a whole lot of fluxions and ghosts. O.k. they try to hide it behind local variables, Bell, Copenhagen and similar distractions, but their camouflage is lousy. :cool: <... run, duck and cover ... (any tips for a good covering, mine are all only double covers?)>

But another question: What is it with the Americans and Zombies? Compared to the amount of B- and C-class movies, series and variations, I cannot but ask myself: why?

Maybe consider a subcover, hoping you're working with compact spaces. And I have no clue about zombies. Let me look up a post that someone did on it. EDIT: Zoobyshoe had some good insights on this:
https://www.physicsforums.com/search/23253465/?q=Zombies&o=relevance&c[node]=14&c[user][0]=1306

EDIT: See around #s 2599, 2600 here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/random-thoughts-part-4.786642/page-130#post-5257336

Last edited:
  • #2,619
Wow, seems PCs rely heavily on cache when playing music: I disconnected for around a minute, You Tube song kept playing all along.

• #2,620
fresh_42 said:

Interesting talk held at my University from an expert in the field!

Likes collinsmark and fresh_42
  • #2,621
I'm seeing Pepe Romero on Friday! Once in a lifetime thing for sure.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,622
dkotschessaa said:
Interesting talk held at my University from an expert in the field!

The dark hair/background makes for a nice complement/setup for the topic. Wouldn't seem as convincing if presented by a blond in a well-lit stage.

• #2,623
dkotschessaa said:
I'm seeing Pepe Romero on Friday! Once in a lifetime thing for sure.

Tell him I said hi.

• #2,624
WWGD said:
The dark hair/background makes for a nice complement/setup for the topic. Wouldn't seem as convincing if presented by a blond in a well-lit stage.

You'd think in Florida that lighting wouldn't be an issue.

Likes WWGD
  • #2,625
WWGD said:
Tell him I said hi.

I'm sure a "YO PEPAAAY!" from the audience won't seem out of place at a classical guitar concert.