What is the most effective way to compare answers on hw with someone?

• Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compare
In summary, the speaker often asks classmates for their email addresses in order to compare homework, but wonders if this is seen as "creepy" and if there are better ways to compare answers. They try to show that they are not just copying off others by providing their own answer and thought processes first. They also question if asking for a phone number along with an email address is appropriate and if there is a preferred time for receiving emails. The speaker suggests talking to classmates before or after class and mentions that some people may only want the speaker to do their homework for them. They caution against not having an equal exchange of information, as it may discourage others from wanting to work with the speaker.
Simfish
Gold Member
So I often ask fellow classmates for their email addresses so that I can compare homework with them, when I haven't interacted with them before (I do try to discuss something about the homework first though). Do people find this "creepy"? Since when I email them, they frequently seem to be unenthusiastic about giving replies (and most of the time they just don't reply at all).

Are there any better ways of comparing answers? I always try to give them my answer first (and a short list of my thought processes) to show them that I'm not simply trying to copy off them. Do people respond better if you try to call them? (is it okay to ask them for their phone # along with their email address?) And is there a time when people prefer to receive emails?

Physics news on Phys.org
Talk to them before or after class. If they gave you their email but don't respond, I don't know, that's a little rude.

I will say this though. I have met a number of people who really really wanted to work on homework with me. Most of the time when they are overly enthusiastic, they just want me to do the homework for them. The worst is when I help them, but they can't even come up with a few casual ideas about the problems I'm stuck on. Make sure you're not guilty of this. Nobody will want to work with you if there is not an equitable exchange of information.

Last edited:

Related to What is the most effective way to compare answers on hw with someone?

1. What is the most effective way to compare answers on hw with someone?

The most effective way to compare answers on homework with someone is to first make sure that both parties have completed the assignment on their own. Then, you can go through each question together and discuss your thought processes and reasoning behind your answers. This will not only help you to understand the material better, but it will also give you the opportunity to identify any mistakes or areas where you may need further clarification.

2. Should I compare answers with someone before or after submitting my homework?

It is generally recommended to compare answers with someone after completing and submitting your homework. This will allow you to have a better understanding of the material and identify any mistakes you may have made before submitting your work.

3. Is it cheating to compare answers on homework with someone?

No, it is not considered cheating to compare answers on homework with someone as long as you are both completing the assignment on your own and using the comparison as a learning tool. However, it is important to make sure that you are not copying or plagiarizing someone else's work.

4. Can comparing answers on homework with someone help improve my grades?

Yes, comparing answers with someone can be a helpful study tool and can improve your grades by allowing you to gain a better understanding of the material and identify any mistakes you may have made. It can also help you to think critically and see different perspectives on a problem.

5. How often should I compare answers on homework with someone?

The frequency of comparing answers on homework with someone may vary depending on personal preference and the difficulty of the material. It is generally recommended to compare answers with someone after completing each assignment or as needed for more challenging assignments. It is important to also make sure that you are still completing and understanding the material on your own.