What is the meaning of "110V AC / 24 DC relay"?

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications and compatibility of a 110V AC/24V DC relay. The experts explain that while the coil can handle both AC and DC voltages, the contact ratings are different and it is less stressful to switch AC voltage. They also mention a family of relays with various coil and contact ratings. However, they advise against using a 240V AC on a 12V DC relay as it is out of its rating. The conversation also mentions the inrush current of AC relays and the importance of considering power consumption when using multiple relays in parallel. The experts suggest using the correct tool for the job and provide a link to a product information sheet for further reference.
Nikhil N
I have seen some relays mentioned as 110V AC/ 24V DC relay. Is this means, can I use both 24DC and 110V AC to the coil of relay?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you please give us a link for one such relay?

Regarding the coil, the AC and DC requirements are usually the same. So a relay designed for 24V AC should be OK for 24V DC.

However: regarding the poles the AC and DC ratings are different. It's less stressing to switch AC voltage, so the limit for AC is always higher.
To switch off DC voltage is the most stressing. I think that 110V AC/ 24V DC will be about this, but without further input I cannot be sure.

Likes davenn
Rive said:
To switch off DC voltage is the most stressing. I think that 110V AC/ 24V DC will be about this, but without further input I cannot be sure.

and to expand of Rive's good response, there will usually be a current rating in amps along with the voltage for the relay contacts

Rive said:
Could you please give us a link for one such relay?
Capture.PNG

rl.PNG

That's not for a single relay, but for a family. Within the family the contact rating is '10 Amps contact rating at 24V DC or 230V AC', and the coil ratings are 'from 6volts to 110V DC and upto 230V AC with phenolic cover'.

This family consists of 10-20 different relays with various coil ratings, contact arrangement and chasing options.

Ps.: and yes, on the contacts for 10A these relays will bear 24V DC or 230V AC. The limit for DC is far lower than for AC.

Rive said:
That's not for a single relay, but for a family. Within the family the contact rating is '10 Amps contact rating at 24V DC or 230V AC', and the coil ratings are 'from 6volts to 110V DC and upto 230V AC with phenolic cover'.

This family consists of 10-20 different relays with various coil ratings, contact arrangement and chasing options.

Ps.: and yes, on the contacts for 10A these relays will bear 24V DC or 230V AC. The limit for DC is far lower than for AC.
I have to make chattering relay with above spec. I was using the below circuit for relay chattering. Now with the above relay if I connect 110V AC instead of 12V DC, it will work as same right?
relay.png

Nikhil N said:
I have to make chattering relay with above spec. I was using the below circuit for relay chattering. Now with the above relay if I connect 110V AC instead of 12V DC, it will work as same right?
Not likely. If that relay coil works at 12V then 110V AC will most likely break/burn it within seconds.

The contacts might survive, if that's any help :angel:

Rive said:
Not likely. If that relay coil works at 12V then 110V AC will most likely break/burn it within seconds.

The contacts might survive, if that's any help :angel:
Let me take the first relay spec, they have given the relay work either in 24V DC or 240V AC, so in the above circuit, if I am connecting 240V AC with the first relay, the chattering circuit should work right?

In a relay you have the coil and you have the contacts. These are different things.
For that relay the rating for the coil is 12V (or something in this caliber, since it works at this voltage).
For the contacts, the rating is 24V DC//240V AC (for 10A at most).

Don't mix the different ratings. If you try to apply 240V AC for the coil, then it'll be far out of it's rating.

Likes davenn and jim hardy
Rive said:
In a relay you have the coil and you have the contacts. These are different things.
For that relay the rating for the coil is 12V (or something in this caliber, since it works at this voltage).
For the contacts, the rating is 24V DC//240V AC (for 10A at most).

Don't mix the different ratings. If you try to apply 240V AC for the coil, then it'll be far out of it's rating.
Just see this product info. It has mentioed the coil DC volage range and AC voltage ranges. For this relay, will it work in both AC and DC volages?
http://oenindia.com/uploads/products/58_20160601032651.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
That product info sheet is also about a whole family.
The 24V AC version will ~ work as the 12V DC version, but for this family this kind of operation is out of spec. I do not recommend it. Buy the right tool for the job.

Rive said:
Regarding the coil, the AC and DC requirements are usually the same. So a relay designed for 24V AC should be OK for 24V DC.

Not so at all.

A DC relay coil has enough resistance to limit the current through it to whatever the designer wanted it to be.

An AC relay coil has far less resistance, instead depends on its inductive reactance to limit coil current.
When first energized it draws several times its rated current and does so until the armature plunger moves into position reducing the air gap which raises inductance, pushing coil current back down to design value. Inrush might be 10X steady state current.
AC relays also have ,magnetic shading on the pole to prevent buzzing when closed , DC poles don't need it because there are no zero crossings.

Panasonic says about relay coils:
https://www3.panasonic.biz/ac/ae/control/relay/cautions_use/
For the AC type, there is an inrush current during the operation time (for the separated condition of the armature, the impedance is low and a current greater than rated current flows; for the adhered condition of the armature, the impedance is high and the rated value of current flows), and because of this, for the case of several relays being used in parallel connection, it is necessary to give consideration to power consumption.
Apply 24 volts DC to a 24 volt AC relay coil and you'll probably let the smoke out of it in just minutes.
Here's a snip from the datasheet of that relay
relaycoildeltaR.jpg

Calculate the power in each with 24 volts DC applied , E2/R , to convince yourself .

Likes BvU
jim hardy said:
Not so at all.

A DC relay coil has enough resistance to limit the current through it to whatever the designer wanted it to be.

An AC relay coil has far less resistance, instead depends on its inductive reactance to limit coil current.
When first energized it draws several times its rated current and does so until the armature plunger moves into position reducing the air gap which raises inductance, pushing coil current back down to design value. Inrush might be 10X steady state current.
AC relays also have ,magnetic shading on the pole to prevent buzzing when closed , DC poles don't need it because there are no zero crossings.

Panasonic says about relay coils:
https://www3.panasonic.biz/ac/ae/control/relay/cautions_use/

Apply 24 volts DC to a 24 volt AC relay coil and you'll probably let the smoke out of it in just minutes.
Here's a snip from the datasheet of that relay
View attachment 114939
I have this relay with me. My doubt is whether can I use AC across coil and make a chattering circuit>?
IMG_20170323_153341.jpg

Nikhil N said:
My doubt is whether can I use AC across coil and make a chattering circuit>?

What is rated voltage and frequency of is coil?
A 24 VAC coil will be ruint by application of 24 VDC.
A 24 VDC coil will not be harmed by application of 24 VAC . But it might not pull in its armature to close the contacts, either. One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.

jim hardy said:
Not so at all. .
Yep. It seems I messed up that part.

Nikhil N said:
I have this relay with me. My doubt is whether can I use AC across coil and make a chattering circuit>?
I won't try it above 24V AC without measuring the actual current through the coil.
And I won't try it above 30V AC at all.

By this specification what it means? I have a Eagleman relay, their website showing these details only.
capture-png.114936.png

img_20170323_153341-jpg.114940.jpg

Nikhil N said:

not mains AC

Nikhil N said:
By this specification what it means? I have a Eagleman relay, their website showing these details only.

the pic of the one you have shown is a 12V coil

As Rive said many posts ago .....

Rive said:
That product info sheet is also about a whole family.
The 24V AC version will ~ work as the 12V DC version, but for this family this kind of operation is out of spec. I do not recommend it. Buy the right tool for the job.

so if you put anything significantly higher than 12V across it, it will failDave

you have to work with what information you have, or find a better spec sheet.

I see no direct statement whether that coil is for AC or DC voltage.

If coil power is as they stated 1.5 to 1.2 VA , at 12 volts (as written on the side of the relay ) that would mean 0.125 to 0.100 amps

which at 12 volts would be 96 to 120 ohms of impedance. Is that impedance all resistance or is it the sum of resistance and reactance?
What does your ohm meter show for resistance of the coil ?
If it's much less than 96 ohms you'd better not apply very much DC to it.

No it means the relay is operated by a 24V DC voltage to control a 110AC source.

Related to What is the meaning of "110V AC / 24 DC relay"?

1. What does "110V AC / 24 DC relay" mean?

"110V AC / 24 DC relay" refers to the electrical voltage and type of current that the relay is designed to work with. The relay is able to switch between 110 volts of alternating current (AC) and 24 volts of direct current (DC) depending on the input signal.

2. What is a relay and how does it work?

A relay is an electronic switch that is used to control the flow of electricity through a circuit. It works by using an electromagnet to open and close a switch, allowing the current to flow or be interrupted based on the input signal.

3. Why is there both AC and DC in the description of the relay?

The relay is designed to work with both alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC) depending on the needs of the circuit it is being used in. This allows for greater flexibility and compatibility with various electrical systems.

4. What is the purpose of a relay in an electrical circuit?

A relay is used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit by acting as a switch. It is often used to isolate and protect sensitive components from high voltage or to control the operation of larger electrical systems.

5. Can I use a 110V AC / 24 DC relay in any circuit?

It is important to check the specifications and compatibility of the relay with the specific circuit you are using it in. While the relay is designed to work with both AC and DC voltage, it may not be suitable for all circuits or applications.