Relay with High DC Breaking Capacity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of relays to operate a circuit breaker that controls the opening and closing of a coil with a high inductive load. The initial use of a normal relay resulted in melting of the plastic base due to the high DC Inductive Breaking capacity. The only suitable relay found for this application was the Arteche CD-2XR relay with high DC Inductive Breaking Capacity. Other techniques mentioned to achieve High Inductive DC Breaking include using two contacts in series and using a diode across the relay contact. The conversation also touches on the use of snubbers and vacuum relays for this purpose.
Farhan Ali
Hello!

I have to use a relay to operate circuit breaker opening/closing coil i.e. 80W @ 110VDC.
Since the breaker is having some mechanical interlocks, so sometimes when the coil is operating, the breaker may not open. In that case the relay contact has to make & break the opening/closing coil supply.

I initially used normal relay for this operation, but later on I observed that relay is not more functional, when I open the relay (i.e. removed its plastic case), I found the plastic base of the relay poles was melted and when the relay was operating, there was some gap between pole and through.

After studying the issue, I came to the conclusion that the DC Inductive Breaking capacity of the relay I were using was 35W Inductive Load i.e. DC12 L/R = 40ms, while the coil rating was 80W.

I search the relays from different vendors, but only 1 relay found suitable for this application, i.e. Arteche CD-2XR relay with high DC Inductive Breaking Capacity.

Apart from this, we can use some other techniques to achieve High Inductive DC Breaking, as mentioned below.
1. Use Two contacts in series
2. Use Diode across the Relay Contact

Is there anyone who has gone through such problem?
Is there any other brand or relay to use for such High DC Inductive Breaking Capacity?
Is there any other technique to handle this issue?

Regards,

Farhan Ali

Engineering news on Phys.org
For an inductive load you would need a contactor with a sufficient AC-3 rating for your application, the link (http://electrialstandards.blogspot.co.za/2014/04/electrical-contactors-utilization.html) has a short explanation regarding AC ratings.

Industrial suppliers like Siemens, ABB, Schnieder Electric, etc will have massive ranges of such devices for you to choose from, I'm sure if you gave one of them a call they would be able to offer you the correct product.

Last edited:
Likes Delta Prime
jim hardy said:
You'd use the diode across the relay COIL

I think the OP means the relay is switching an inductive load.

CWatters said:
I think the OP means the relay is switching an inductive load.

yes

Farhan Ali said:
I have to use a relay to operate circuit breaker opening/closing coil i.e. 80W @ 110VDC.
I think the term for relays in that service is "Pilot Duty Relay"

davenn said:
that's not going to solve the relay contacts from sticking :wink:
?? Inductive load so arcing is when contact opens.
http://www.panconcorp.com/PDFs/capacitors/QRL-Quencharc.pdf
upload_2017-8-6_21-2-45.png

davenn said:
Anyway, I don't see what putting a diode across the contacts would do, as he suggested
Agreed 100 % .

Likes davenn
Clamps the inductive spike to the DC voltage?

Last edited:
The diode would have to be across the Circuit Breaker's closing/opening coil, not the relays coil.

But ideally you need a relay with contacts rated for the DC voltage and current, AND inductive load. For an air insulated contact it may have an arc chute with blowout coil, there are vacuum and solid state relays for this purpose as well.

Windadct said:
The diode would have to be across the Circuit Breaker's closing/opening coil, not the relays coil.

Well yes of course it would. Sorry i didnt make that clear

old jim

Not sure if someone was being pedantic - :wink:

OOPS now i see my mistake

jim hardy said:
You'd use the diode across the relay COIL .

I sure 'nuff typed " relay " while thinking " breaker " .

Apology hereby extended to all...

I was not referring to you Jim, but the others... cheers

Omron Relays at archive.org have plenty of arc-snubbing advice for relay contact opening. Since ionization can occur at very small gaps as it opens and only takes a microsecond or so, the rate of change is not fast enough to prevent an arc . Also the travel distance is kept small ( few mm) to reduce "Make time" but "Break Current" is gap and inductive current dependent just like holding current in SCR's. But with dry contacts you have very small capacitance reducing as it opens which leads to high voltage (kV) as it opens, V=L dI/dt as dt goes to < 1 us with < 1 pF gap.

The most popular snubbers for low power DC contacts are diodes clamped to the opposite rail. But the low diode resistance also causes slow switching times due to Tau=L/R. So using MOV's or Zener's speed up and quench the switching.

SeriesRC snubbers are also popular for motor relay contacts. This can be in the form of discrete components or very lossy film caps to limit the currents and also prevent arcing from 1kV/mm average air breakdown, but the R value must be damping the resonance as well as limiting contact burnout currents where the highest voltage drop occurs across the highest impedance in the loop..

Vacuum relays are expensive solutions as they raise the breakdown voltage from Paschen's Law.

High power AC breakers for inductive loads must consider high speed and large gaps in these "Contactor" designs. Even though AC has the benefit of zero-crossing current quenching if the plasma is not resonating at some RF value preventing the de-ionization process. After all this is how the process of welding works.

This is an old thread about old technology, but I felt like it needed some overview perspective thrown in.

Likes Rajesh52

Related to Relay with High DC Breaking Capacity

1. What is a "Relay with High DC Breaking Capacity"?

A "Relay with High DC Breaking Capacity" is an electrical switch that is capable of handling high levels of direct current (DC) without breaking down. It is designed to safely and reliably interrupt the flow of electricity in a circuit, even at high DC voltages.

2. How is a "Relay with High DC Breaking Capacity" different from a regular relay?

A regular relay is typically designed to handle lower levels of DC current, while a "Relay with High DC Breaking Capacity" is specifically built to handle higher levels. This requires different materials and construction techniques to ensure the relay can withstand the higher voltage and current without breaking down.

3. What are the applications of a "Relay with High DC Breaking Capacity"?

"Relays with High DC Breaking Capacity" are commonly used in industries such as automotive, renewable energy, and power distribution, where there is a need to safely interrupt high levels of DC current. They are also used in equipment such as battery chargers, inverters, and electric vehicles.

4. How is the DC breaking capacity of a relay determined?

The DC breaking capacity of a relay is typically determined by its design and construction, including the materials used for the contacts and the size and shape of the contact points. It is also influenced by factors such as the operating voltage and current, temperature, and environmental conditions.

5. What are the benefits of using a "Relay with High DC Breaking Capacity"?

The main benefit of using a "Relay with High DC Breaking Capacity" is its ability to safely switch and interrupt high levels of DC current without breaking down. This makes it a reliable and durable component in various industrial and commercial applications. Additionally, these relays often have a longer lifespan and can handle higher voltages and currents than regular relays, making them suitable for demanding environments.