What is the maximum deceleration for two boxes in a car without them falling?

In summary: I know what you are saying.In summary, the maximum deceleration that doesn't make the boxes fall is -4m/s2.
Biker

Homework Statement

If you have 2 boxes over each other in a car that is slowing down . The mass of each one of them is 10kg and Us = 0.4 for all surfaces. What is the maximum deceleration that doesn't make the boxes fall?
And will it make different if you change the masses of the objects?
3. The Attempt at a Solution
I calculated the deceleration it is equal to -4m/s2
By doing the following
200*0.4 = 20 * a

And, no it doesn't make difference. I have a feeling that this question is so weird...[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
when you say fall, you mean slide or topple? I'm guessing slide.
if so i think
that what you have to do is evaluate for both boxes as a hole, evaluate for the top box, and remember that the two box system, the bottom box will feel the inertia from the top box
i might be wrong though

also you can think of the system as beeing at rest and then starting to accelerate, and in the end reverse the sign, if it helps... also drawing free body diagrams helps a ton

WrongMan said:
when you say fall, you mean slide or topple? I'm guessing slide.
if so i think
that what you have to do is evaluate for both boxes as a hole, evaluate for the top box, and remember that the two box system, the bottom box will feel the inertia from the top box
It knows nothing of the inertia of the top box. It will feel the normal and frictional forces.
However, you are right that you can break the problem into two parts as
1. If the top box slides on the lower one then...
2. Else we can consider the two boxes as a unit, combining their inertias.
As Biker found, the mass is irrelevant. Consequently the answer will be the same for the top box in isolation as it is for the two as a unit.

what i meant is that as the bottom box is accelerating, the top box (because of friction) will impede the movement. isn't this correct?

again this might be wrong, this is based on a exercice I've done a while ago which was similar, but the blocks were not inside a car, this might be what makes it wrong...

WrongMan said:
what i meant is that as the bottom box is accelerating, the top box (because of friction) will impede the movement. isn't this correct?

again this might be wrong, this is based on a exercice I've done a while ago which was similar, but the blocks were not inside a car, this might be what makes it wrong...
Try drawing some free body diagrams, and you will see what haruspex is saying.

Likes WrongMan
WrongMan said:
Yes, that's ok. I objected to your saying it felt the inertia of the top box. What it feels is the frictional force where they meet. It may seem like a subtle distinction, but confusing proximate causes with distal (ultimate) causes is a common source of error in multibody problems. One of the benefits of drawing an FBD per rigid body is that it forces you to focus on the forces directly experienced by the body.

Likes WrongMan and Chestermiller
haruspex said:
Yes, that's ok. I objected to your saying it felt the inertia of the top box. What it feels is the frictional force where they meet. It may seem like a subtle distinction, but confusing proximate causes with distal (ultimate) causes is a common source of error in multibody problems. One of the benefits of drawing an FBD per rigid body is that it forces you to focus on the forces directly experienced by the body.
I understand bad phrasing on my part, and now that I've drawn everything out and solved it, i arrive at the same conclusion you did... Anyway i was confusing this with that other exercise i did, shame i can't get access to it, i really wanted to check it out now

Related to What is the maximum deceleration for two boxes in a car without them falling?

What is static friction and how does it differ from kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It is the friction that exists between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces that are already in motion.

What factors affect the amount of static friction between two boxes?

The amount of static friction between two boxes is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force pushing the boxes together, and any external forces acting on the boxes.

How can we calculate the maximum static friction between two boxes?

The maximum static friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of static friction (μs) between the two surfaces by the normal force (N) pushing the boxes together. The formula for maximum static friction is μs x N.

What happens to the static friction between two boxes if we increase the normal force?

If the normal force between the two boxes is increased, the maximum static friction will also increase. This means it will be harder to move the boxes and a greater force will be needed to overcome the static friction.

Can the coefficient of static friction ever be greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction?

No, the coefficient of static friction can never be greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction. This is because it takes more force to get an object to start moving (static friction) than to keep it moving (kinetic friction).