Find the angle of an object on an incline (static friction)

In summary: Wow![/emoji4]Also, do you notice anything about the number ##1/2.5##? Is that equal to anything in the problem?1/2.5=tanθθ=tan-1(1/2.5)θ=21.8
onemic

Homework Statement

At a construction site, a small crane is raising two boxes of nails on a plank to the roof. One box has already been opened and is half full, while the other box is new. The boxes, including the nails weigh 10kg and 20kg, respectively, and are the same size.
If the coefficient of static friction is 0.4, draw an FBD for each box of nails and use it to calculate the angle at which each box begins to slide.

lesson 3.png
Given: m1=20kg, m2=10kg, μ=0.4

Required: Ffm1, Ffm2

Homework Equations

Fg=mg
FNet=ma
Ff=μFN

The Attempt at a Solution

lesson 3_2.png
Let the directions below equal positive:

lesson 3_3.png

M1:

FNety=Fgy-FN
0 = Fgy-FN

Fgy=FN
(mg)cosθ=FN
(20kg)(9.8N/kg)cosθ=FN
FN=196cosθ

FNetx=196sinθ-μFN
=196sinθ-(0.4)196cosθ
=196sinθ-78.4cosθ

This is where I'm at currently and I am not sure what to do as it doesn't seem like there's any way to solve for theta due to multiple variables...Is there an important step I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
onemic said:

Homework Statement

At a construction site, a small crane is raising two boxes of nails on a plank to the roof. One box has already been opened and is half full, while the other box is new. The boxes, including the nails weigh 10kg and 20kg, respectively, and are the same size.
If the coefficient of static friction is 0.4, draw an FBD for each box of nails and use it to calculate the angle at which each box begins to slide.

View attachment 106658Given: m1=20kg, m2=10kg, μ=0.4

Required: Ffm1, Ffm2

Homework Equations

Fg=mg
FNet=ma
Ff=μFN

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 106660Let the directions below equal positive:

View attachment 106661

M1:

FNety=Fgy-FN
0 = Fgy-FN

Fgy=FN
(mg)cosθ=FN
(20kg)(9.8N/kg)cosθ=FN
FN=196cosθ

FNetx=196sinθ-μFN
=196sinθ-(0.4)196cosθ
=196sinθ-78.4cosθ

This is where I'm at currently and I am not sure what to do as it doesn't seem like there's any way to solve for theta due to multiple variables...Is there an important step I'm missing?
As far as I can see you are nearly there. What can you say about ##F_{net}## when the box is about to slip?

By the way, do you think the angle of slippage depends on ##g## or ##m##?

Likes onemic
FNet is equal to 0 when the box is about to slip due to there being no acceleration.

0=196sinθ-78.4cosθ
78.4cosθ=196sinθ

The angle of slippage would depend on m, since m is variable while g is constant. The higher the value of m, the greater the angle the platform would have to be for the box to slip

onemic said:
FNet is equal to 0 when the box is about to slip due to there being no acceleration.

0=196sinθ-78.4cosθ
78.4cosθ=196sinθ

The angle of slippage would depend on m, since m is variable while g is constant. The higher the value of m, the greater the angle the platform would have to be for the box to slip

You should be able to solve your equation for ##\theta##. Is there another common trig function, other than ##\sin## and ##\cos##?

On the second point, I'll be interested in the difference in ##\theta## for the two boxes, once you've calculated them!

Likes onemic
PeroK said:
You should be able to solve your equation for ##\theta##. Is there another common trig function, other than ##\sin## and ##\cos##?

On the second point, I'll be interested in the difference in ##\theta## for the two boxes, once you've calculated them!

hm, is it:

1=196sinθ/78.4cosθ
1=2.5tanθ
θ=tan-1(2.5)
θ=68.2

That's the right idea, but your basic algebra has let you down.

PeroK said:
That's the right idea, but your basic algebra has let you down.

Wow, I don't know how I missed that.

1=2.5tanθ
1/2.5=tanθ
θ=tan-1(1/2.5)
θ=21.8

The second box...also has an angle of 21.8 degrees. Very surprising. So the angle of slippage is dependent on g and not on m? Or is it entirely dependent on the static force?

onemic said:
Wow, I don't know how I missed that.

1=2.5tanθ
1/2.5=tanθ
θ=tan-1(1/2.5)
θ=21.8

The second box...also has an angle of 21.8 degrees. Very surprising. So the angle of slippage is dependent on g and not on m? Or is it entirely dependent on the static force?

You could try calculating the angle for a different value of ##g##. The moon's gravity is about ##1.6 m/s^2## I think.

Also, do you notice anything about the number ##1/2.5##? Is that equal to anything in the problem?

Likes villianelle and onemic
The fact that friction is modeled, using a 'coefficient' suggests that the ratio of parallel and normal forces is considered to be independent of the actual values.
This is an 'ideal' model, of course and there are limits to the range of values of the forces. But your calculation makes this assumption from the start. You have actually just shown that 1/x =1/x. [emoji4]

Likes onemic
It's equal to the static force!
PeroK said:
You could try calculating the angle for a different value of ##g##. The moon's gravity is about ##1.6 m/s^2## I think.

Also, do you notice anything about the number ##1/2.5##? Is that equal to anything in the problem?
It's equal to the coefficient of static friction! So it's the static friction coefficient that determines the angle that the boxes will slip. That was a trick question :p

Thanks for the help!
sophiecentaur said:
The fact that friction is modeled, using a 'coefficient' suggests that the ratio of parallel and normal forces is considered to be independent of the actual values.
This is an 'ideal' model, of course and there are limits to the range of values of the forces. But your calculation makes this assumption from the start. You have actually just shown that 1/x =1/x. [emoji4]

Thanks for the further explanation

Related to Find the angle of an object on an incline (static friction)

1. What is the formula for finding the angle of an object on an incline using static friction?

The formula for finding the angle is θ = tan⁻¹(μs), where θ is the angle of the incline and μs is the coefficient of static friction.

2. How do you determine the coefficient of static friction for an object?

The coefficient of static friction is typically provided in the problem or can be found in a table of materials. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object on an incline and using the formula μs = F/mg, where F is the force applied, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can the angle of an object on an incline ever be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the angle of an object on an incline cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because the maximum angle of an incline is 90 degrees (a vertical incline), at which point the object would simply slide down due to gravity and no static friction force would be present.

4. How does the weight of the object affect the angle on an incline?

The weight of the object affects the angle by increasing the force of gravity acting on the object, which in turn increases the normal force and the maximum static friction force. This allows the object to be placed on steeper inclines before sliding down due to gravity.

5. Is the angle of an object on an incline affected by the surface it is on?

Yes, the angle of an object on an incline can be affected by the surface it is on. Different surfaces have different coefficients of static friction, which can change the maximum angle at which an object can rest without sliding down the incline. A rougher surface with a higher coefficient of static friction can allow for a steeper incline, while a smoother surface with a lower coefficient of static friction may require a shallower incline to prevent sliding.