What is the mass density of 0.6 mol of gas at 0 degrees and 1 atm?

In summary, the question is asking for the mass density of a gas with given information about its volume, number density, average distance between molecules, and total mass. The correct calculation for the number of molecules is 0.6 mol * 6.022x10^23 molecules/mol, and the mass density can be calculated by dividing the total mass by the volume.
warrior2014

Homework Statement

At 0 degrees, and 1 atm, 0.6 mol of a gas occupies a volume of 0.0134 m^3. what is the mass density? The number density is 2.69x10^25 m-3, the average distance between the gas molecule is 4nm and the total mass is 17.685g.

Homework Equations

n=N/Na

1u=1.66x10^-27 mol-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find N so I did 0.6/6,022x10^23 and got 9.96x10^-25. Then I multiplied this by 2.69x 10^-25 and go 2.68x10^-49 which was wrong.

I'm not exactly sure how to solve the problem, so any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
warrior2014 said:

Homework Statement

At 0 degrees, and 1 atm, 0.6 mol of a gas occupies a volume of 0.0134 m^3. what is the mass density? The number density is 2.69x10^25 m-3, the average distance between the gas molecule is 4nm and the total mass is 17.685g.

I'm confused. You have the total mass, and you have the volume it occupies. So, what is stopping you from computing the mass density from that information alone?

warrior2014 said:

Homework Equations

n=N/Na

1u=1.66x10^-27 mol-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find N so I did 0.6/6,022x10^23 and got 9.96x10^-25. Then I multiplied this by 2.69x 10^-25 and go 2.68x10^-49 which was wrong.

I'm not exactly sure how to solve the problem, so any help is appreciated!

As an aside, the step in red above is wrong. It should be (0.6 mol)*(6.022x1023
molecules/mol), which you can see gives you a result in "molecules." Always include units in calculations like this in order to catch errors like this.

What is the definition of mass density of a gas?

The mass density of a gas is the mass per unit volume of the gas. It is a measure of how much matter is present in a certain volume of the gas.

What factors affect the mass density of a gas?

The mass density of a gas is affected by temperature, pressure, and the type of gas. As temperature and pressure increase, the density of the gas also increases. Different gases have different densities due to their molecular weights and structures.

How do you calculate the mass density of a gas?

The mass density of a gas can be calculated using the formula d = m/V, where d is the density, m is the mass, and V is the volume of the gas.

What are the units of mass density of a gas?

The units of mass density of a gas depend on the units used for mass and volume. Common units include kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3), grams per liter (g/L), and pounds per cubic foot (lb/ft3).

Why is mass density of a gas important in scientific research?

The mass density of a gas is an important factor in many scientific experiments and studies. It affects the behavior and properties of gases, such as their ability to mix with other gases, their buoyancy, and their flow rates. It is also used in various equations and calculations in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.