Calculating Number Density of Gas Molecules

In summary: He forgot to change the temperature to the final condition. Checking the answer at the final conditions, I get 3.45x10^20 molecules. This is the answer to the question.
Chase11

Homework Statement

What is the number density, N/V, of gas molecules in the closed vessel in the previous problem?

(Previous problem: A closed vessel contains an ideal gas at an absolute pressure of 1.5 atm and a termperature of 42 degrees celsius. To what final temperature (in °C) must the gas be heated so its final pressure is 2.0 atm?

Homework Equations

pV=N[itex]k\ =\ 1.3806503(24)\ \times\ 10^{-23}\ J\ K^{-1}[/itex]T

The Attempt at a Solution

From the previous problem I have p=2.0 atm, T=420K and reorganizing the equation I get N/V=p/[itex]k\ =\ 1.3806503(24)\ \times\ 10^{-23}\ J\ K^{-1}[/itex]T

so N/V=2.0atm/[itex]k\ =\ 1.3806503(24)\ \times\ 10^{-23}\ J\ K^{-1}[/itex](420K) = 3.45x10^20. The answer is supposed to be 3.5x10^25. I cannot figure out why I am getting the wrong answer, can anybody shed some light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked the units of the quantities you have plugged into your formula?

Chase11 said:

Homework Statement

What is the number density, N/V, of gas molecules in the closed vessel in the previous problem?

(Previous problem: A closed vessel contains an ideal gas at an absolute pressure of 1.5 atm and a termperature of 42 degrees celsius. To what final temperature (in °C) must the gas be heated so its final pressure is 2.0 atm?

Homework Equations

pV=N[itex]k\ =\ 1.3806503(24)\ \times\ 10^{-23}\ J\ K^{-1}[/itex]T

The Attempt at a Solution

From the previous problem I have p=2.0 atm, T=420K and reorganizing the equation I get N/V=p/[itex]k\ =\ 1.3806503(24)\ \times\ 10^{-23}\ J\ K^{-1}[/itex]T

so N/V=2.0atm/[itex]k\ =\ 1.3806503(24)\ \times\ 10^{-23}\ J\ K^{-1}[/itex](420K) = 3.45x10^20. The answer is supposed to be 3.5x10^25. I cannot figure out why I am getting the wrong answer, can anybody shed some light on this?
At the initial conditions, I get a molar density of 0.0581 moles/liter. Multiplying this by avagodro's number, I get 3.5 x 1022 molecules/liter. Per cubic meter, this is 3.5 x 1025 molecules. The same result is obtained at the final conditions.

Chet

Related to Calculating Number Density of Gas Molecules

What is number density of gas molecules?

Number density of gas molecules refers to the number of gas molecules per unit volume in a given space. It is a measure of how closely packed the gas molecules are in a particular area.

How is number density of gas molecules calculated?

The number density of gas molecules can be calculated by dividing the total number of gas molecules in a given volume by the volume of that space. This is expressed by the formula: Number Density = Number of Molecules / Volume.

What units are used to measure number density of gas molecules?

Number density of gas molecules is typically measured in units of molecules per cubic meter (m^-3) or molecules per cubic centimeter (cm^-3).

Can number density of gas molecules change?

Yes, number density of gas molecules can change depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and volume. As these variables change, the number of gas molecules in a given space will also change, resulting in a different number density.

How is number density of gas molecules related to other gas properties?

Number density is directly related to gas pressure and indirectly related to gas temperature. As the number density of gas molecules increases, the pressure of the gas also increases. Additionally, as the number density decreases, the temperature of the gas will also decrease.