Density and r.m.s of an ideal gas

In summary: I am sorry, but I am not able to provide a summary for this conversation as it does not have any clear conclusion or solution to the problem being discussed. It seems like the conversation is still in the process of finding a solution and therefore cannot be summarized at this point.
Apothem

Homework Statement

A can which is sealed of a volume 0.035m3 contains an ideal gas with a pressure of 150kPa, at a temperature of 350K.
Calculate the gas density and the root mean squared speed of the gas molecules
(P.S. the molecular mass is stated as 28)

Homework Equations

r.m.s=sqrt(3kT/m) density=molar massxP/RxT

The Attempt at a Solution

So before this I calculated the number of moles: (150x103)*(0.035)/(8.31*350)= 1.81 moles (3.s.f)
The number of molecules: N=n*Na=(1.80...)*(6.023x1023)=1.09x1024 molecules (3.s.f)
The mass of the gas (the molecular mass is stated as 28) mass=n*M=(1.80...)(28)=50.5g (3.s.f)

For r.m.s, do I simply just have to put the mass I just calculated into the equation? For the density, do I just put the molar mass as 28?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Apothem said:

Homework Statement

A can which is sealed of a volume 0.035m3 contains an ideal gas with a pressure of 150kPa, at a temperature of 350K.

Homework Equations

So before this I calculated the number of moles: (150x103)*(0.035)/(8.31*350)= 1.81 moles (3.s.f)
The number of molecules: N=n*Na=(1.80...)*(6.023x1023)=1.09x1024 molecules (3.s.f)
The mass of the gas (the molecular mass is stated as 28) mass=n*M=(1.80...)(28)=50.5g (3.s.f)

For r.m.s, do I simply just have to put the mass I just calculated into the equation? For the density, do I just put the molar mass as 28?

It seems like the following should have been put into the Problem Statement:

The mass of the gas (the molecular mass is stated as 28)

SteamKing said:
It seems like the following should have been put into the Problem Statement:

Sorry I have added it now.

Apothem said:

Homework Statement

(P.S. the molecular mass is stated as 28)

Homework Equations

In the formula for the rms speed, m is the mass of one molecule.

As for the density, you calculated the mass of the gas already: it is 50.5 g. The volume of the gas is given. And you certainly know how the density is defined with mass and volume ?

ehild

Yes, you are on the right track. For the root mean squared speed, you can use the equation you provided: r.m.s=sqrt(3kT/m). However, you need to convert the mass from grams to kilograms in order to get the correct units for the speed. So the correct calculation would be: r.m.s=sqrt(3kT/(m*0.001)). And yes, for the density, you can use the equation: density=molar mass x P/R x T. Just make sure to convert the pressure from kPa to Pa before plugging it into the equation.

Related to Density and r.m.s of an ideal gas

What is density of an ideal gas?

The density of an ideal gas is the mass of the gas per unit volume. It is typically expressed in units of kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3) or grams per liter (g/L).

How is density related to pressure and temperature?

According to the ideal gas law, density is directly proportional to pressure and inversely proportional to temperature. This means that as pressure increases, density increases, and as temperature increases, density decreases.

What is r.m.s of an ideal gas?

The r.m.s (root mean square) of an ideal gas is a measure of the average speed of the gas molecules. It is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared speeds of all the molecules in the gas.

How does r.m.s of an ideal gas relate to temperature?

According to the kinetic theory of gases, the r.m.s of an ideal gas is directly proportional to the square root of its temperature. This means that as temperature increases, the r.m.s of the gas also increases.

How does density and r.m.s of an ideal gas change with altitude?

As altitude increases, the density of an ideal gas decreases due to a decrease in pressure. However, the r.m.s of the gas remains constant as temperature does not change significantly with altitude in the Earth's atmosphere.