What is the magnitude of the ball's average horizontal velocity?

In summary, two soccer players kick a ball back and forth with equal speeds, starting 50 meters apart. They continuously kick until they meet in the middle one minute later. The average magnitude of the ball's horizontal velocity in meters per second can be found by dividing the displacement (25 meters) by the time (60 seconds). This involves finding the average velocity vector, which includes direction information and may be referred to as "vector de velocidad" in Spanish. However, "speed" and "velocity" have different meanings in English and Spanish.
LiesselZ

Homework Statement

Two soccer players kick a ball back and forth toward each other. They start off 50 meters apart, and walk toward each other with equal speeds. They kick the ball continuously until they meet in the middle one minute later. What is the magnitude of the ball’s average horizontal velocity in meters per second?

Homework Equations

I have no clue of how to solve this, can anyone give some guide, please? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of average velocity?

I thought average velocity meant average speed (speed="velocidad" in Spanish). Thank you very much, lewando, :)

In physics (English), "velocity" is a vector. "Speed" is the word for magnitude of a velocity vector. I don't think Spanish has the same kind of word mapping (la rapidez for speed?). Perhaps you could use "vector de velocidad" = velocity and "velocidad" = speed, I suppose.

The definition of "average vector of velocity" is very specific. It involves displacement. Anything in your textbook?

Then I can just do 25 (displacement)/ 60 (seconds) and that's all, isn't it?

I don't have a textbook, that's from an online couse I decided to take, I'm reading the theory from wikipedia :)

That is correct for the magnitude of the average velocity vector (which is what you are being asked to find). The average velocity vector would include direction information.

"textbook" tells you how old I am.

Got it. Thanks, lewando!

Related to What is the magnitude of the ball's average horizontal velocity?

1) What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

2) How is velocity different from speed?

While both velocity and speed measure how fast an object is moving, velocity also takes into account the direction of motion. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only includes the numerical value of how fast something is moving.

3) How is the velocity of a ball calculated?

The velocity of a ball can be calculated by dividing the distance the ball travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This gives the average velocity of the ball over a certain period of time.

4) Can the velocity of a ball change?

Yes, the velocity of a ball can change if its speed or direction changes. This can be due to external forces such as gravity, friction, or collisions with other objects.

5) What units are used to measure velocity?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) in the metric system, or feet per second (ft/s) in the imperial system. Other commonly used units include kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph).