Solving The Flight of a Ball: Examining Velocity & Time

In summary, the ball will travel a total of approximately 10.18 meters in 1.44 seconds, reaching its highest point after 0.72 seconds at an altitude of 2.55 meters above the horizontal. The third kinematic equation is suitable for solving for airtime in this situation, as the ball's motion can be thought of as two separate straight lines moving simultaneously. An object running at top speed for a short distance has an average speed of approximately 10 m/s, and 20 m/s is equivalent to 45 miles per hour.
ForceBoy

Homework Statement

A ball is launched at 10 meters per second at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal.
What was the duration of the ball's flight?
What was it's highest point? When?
What was the total distance traveled?
Assume air resistance is negligible.
Upwards and rightwards are positive.

Homework Equations

y = vyi+½(at2)
vf = vi+at
x = vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I start by breaking the velocity vector into its rectangular components:
vy = 10⋅sin(45°) = 5√2 meters per second
We know that sin(45°) = cos(45°), therefore vx = vy

Now that I know the velocities, using Earth's acceleration due to gravity I can solve for airtime using:
vf = vi+ at
(I am using vertical velocity)
I set the final velocity to zero and plug the other known values.
0 = 5√2 - 9.8(t)
-5√2 = -9.8(t)
t = -5√2/-9.8
t ≈ 0.72 seconds
This is the time it takes the ball to reach a vertical velocity 0. I know this will happen in the middle of the ball's flight. Therefore, to find the total time I just double this time.

vtotal ≈ 1.44 seconds.

Now that I know the time, velocities, and acceleration, I can solve for everything else.

x = vxt
x= 5√2(1.44)
x≈10.18 meters traveled

When solving for the highest, I already know when it will happen so:
y = vyi+½(at2)
y = 5√2(0.72) -½(9.8)(0.72)2
y ≈ 2.55 meters above the horizontal

So to answer the questions:
The ball will travel a total of about 10.18 meters in 1.44 second. It will hit it's highest point after 0.72 seconds at an altitude of 2.55 meters above the horizontal.

My question:

I have learned that when solving for air time to use the third kinematic equation. This works because when the ball flies, it traces a parabola; the third kinematic equation is a quadratic equation. This being said, I wondered if I could solve for time as I did. I would believe so because of the rectangular components: They are orthogonal acting at the same time, you could think of the ball moving in two different straight lines at the same time (vertically and horizontally). The ball travels linearly in the vertical direction (as it does in the horizontal) and the first kinematic equation is linear. Therefore it works. Or at least it appears this way to me. Am I overlooking something?

Another question, I do not have good enough intuition about speed in meters per seconds to determine whether my answers are reasonable. I would appreciate it if someone could give me an example of an object the travels at 10 m/s .

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ForceBoy and welcome to PF.

ForceBoy said:
Am I overlooking something?
You have not overlooked anything and I should add that you have a good grasp of this subject.
ForceBoy said:
I would appreciate it if someone could give me an example of an object the travels at 10 m/s .
The world record for the 100 m dash is a bit under 10 seconds. This means that a human running at top speed for a short spurt has an average speed of about 10 m/s. Also, a good number to remember is that 20 m/s is 45 miles per hour.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Thank you very much!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the relationship between velocity and time in the flight of a ball?

The relationship between velocity and time in the flight of a ball is known as the velocity-time relationship. This relationship states that the velocity of the ball is directly proportional to the time it spends in the air. This means that the longer the ball is in the air, the greater its velocity will be.

2. How does air resistance affect the flight of a ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the flight of a ball. As the ball travels through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force of air resistance can slow down the ball and decrease its velocity, resulting in a shorter flight.

3. What factors influence the flight of a ball?

Several factors can influence the flight of a ball, including the initial velocity, angle of release, air resistance, and gravitational force. These factors all play a role in determining the trajectory and duration of the ball's flight.

4. How do you calculate the velocity of a ball?

The velocity of a ball can be calculated using the formula v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. To determine the velocity of a ball, you would need to measure the distance it travels and the time it takes to cover that distance.

5. What is the significance of studying the flight of a ball?

Studying the flight of a ball is essential for understanding the laws of motion and how objects move in the physical world. It also has practical applications, such as in sports and engineering, where understanding the flight of a ball can help improve performance and design. Additionally, studying the flight of a ball can also lead to a better understanding of concepts such as velocity, acceleration, and air resistance.